Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used the Bestop soft top protectant twice now, and it seems like after it rains, it leaves an "oil slick" on my glass side windows where it drains off the side of the top. I now see some of this going on on my paint between the bottom of the side windown and my fender flare. Has anyone ever seen this before? How do you get rid of it? I tried regular window cleaner and then tried vinegar, both to no avail. It's only on the outside luckily, but have no idea how to remove it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Me too!

I had a similar issue today. Some of the Bestop Protectant dripped down onto my vinyl windows and now I can't get it off, either. Some also dripped down my windshield and I literally had to scrap it off with a razor blade (and it still didn't come off easily). Obviously, that's not an option for the vinyl windows.

The instructions on the bottle do say to not get it on the vinyl windows but I would expect a stronger warning given that it apparently bonds to whatever it comes in contact with--how about something like: "If you do get it on, it's never coming off."

Like bierbrewer, if anyone has any hints as to how to get this stuff off the vinyl, I would love to hear it.

I certainly expect more from a company like Bestop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have found that a light rubbing of goo be gone on a paper towel over the oil slick like spots in the windows takes it right off. I usually go back over with window cleaner afterwards. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I had the same problem. The protectant does come off the windows eventually. The protectant for the windows does leave a oily residue. I dont use it anymore, looks ugly for too long after.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
This is why my my soft top care consists of once or twice a year removing it, scrubbing it down with a scrub brush and soap, then treating it with 303 Fabric Guard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts