Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
JKU Bestop Supertop NX Twill - questions

I know Bestop manufactures the OEM premium soft top. I am told the only difference is the spring assist.

Do any of you run the "optional" cross-braces? Do they make any difference vs the OEM Premium top?

I would rather not have to deal with them but I do not want a top that is going to flap in the wind.

edit: Top would be on JKU

·
Registered
58 Posts
I run that top all summer. I never bothered installing the cross braces. I figured they'd sort of block the overheard view a bit with the top down so I didn't bother. About the only benefits for them might be if you run that top in the winter and you get a lot of snow, it won't deform the top and cause as much sag with the heavy snow on top. Also, I suspect there may be slightly less flapping at the front header with the side windows down but the rear window still zipped in but that is an extremely minor issue that won't even really occur if you unzip the rear window like the manual tells us to when we're driving above 45 mph or so.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used the cross braces and never thought not to. You aren't pulling this top on and off that much so I just left them in.

Mark

·
Registered
348 Posts
We ran the cross braces in our Jeep JKI on our trip out to Colorado, thinking they would keep the fabric from flapping at 70-75+ mph.

Truth was, the front brace had an inch gap between it and the fabric at interstate speeds, so it did nothing. When we slowed down, the fabric came back down to rest on the brace. The brace over the rear seat didn't form a gap. Going down the highway, our soft top still had the bulged forehead look of a Neanderthal caveman, just like everybody else running a soft top. It bulged, but it did't flap.

The braces are for carrying extra weight of snow and ice so the fabric doesn't stretch as bad. I also had the fortune of learning that the Best Top braces are not identical. One is for the front, the other for the back. Instructions didn't point that out. You'll never get the back one into the front slots, and the front one will be loose in the rear position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts