Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to install the Bestop Trektop NX on my new used 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.

Everything was installing great...the frame fit perfectly and lined up exactly how the instructions showed. Now I am at the point of latching the latches in the front and I noticed it's overlaping by like 4 inches...there is absolutely no way the latches will latch. It's like the sunrider bar is 4 inches too long.

Image attached.

Does Bestop make different version for older 2007 models vs. newer models? I just don't get it. I bought it on amazon and it said it would fit my jeep.

Please help...thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not sure, but try attaching the header to the windshield points first. Then work your way back towards the rear of the jeep. Do not tie down the sides.. just attached the header, then check the back for fit.. Report back in with images very helpful.

Also, could you post the link via Amazon. just want to read the fine print.. as Amazon and other sites do tend to list a few items incorrectly. This is because even though it says amazon.. It may be linked to a private seller..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure, but try attaching the header to the windshield points first. Then work your way back towards the rear of the jeep. Do not tie down the sides.. just attached the header, then check the back for fit.. Report back in with images very helpful.

Also, could you post the link via Amazon. just want to read the fine print.. as Amazon and other sites do tend to list a few items incorrectly. This is because even though it says amazon.. It may be linked to a private seller..
This is the item I bought...will be posting more pictures soon. My wife and newborn baby don't like me spending all this time on the jeep hah

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have the rails on the wrong side. Which changes where the attachment points are. How that was clear, I just helped a coworker install his and he did the same thing.
So are the rails the part that goes above the doors (the track?) or the sunrider bar things? sorry, im a super newb at this

·
Commercial Member
553 Posts
Yes it is the part above the doors that the sunrider rod connects to. Once you swap them it will be obvious because the the shape of them fits better.

It was these little plates in this picture that we swapped. They have that step portion near the rod holder and it has to be faced the right way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Looking at the plastic door frames in your photo it appears that there is an inch and a half to 2 inch gap at the front of the passenger door. The rain gutter on your newly installed door frames should end even with the front of the door. Try swapping the front driver and passenger sides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at the plastic door frames in your photo it appears that there is an inch and a half to 2 inch gap at the front of the passenger door. The rain gutter on your newly installed door frames should end even with the front of the door. Try swapping the front driver and passenger sides.
Ok a couple more photos...the one with my hand shows the top flush to where it needs to be in the front but the sunrider bar goes 4 inches past...and the other photo is a close up of it being 4 inches off...

One of the steps in my instruction manual didn't match up with the parts I had...The sunrider bars didn't go into the soft top like they showed and like I saw in the youtube videos. I had to use 2 bolts with nuts on each side to connect it to a bar that stuck out from the soft top. It was weird that the parts didn't match up with instructions.

It seems like I installed the rails correctly because they line up perfectly with everything I can image switching them would make up the 4 inches? I'll look at it closer tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
According to this edit image, the bracket (arrow 1) is too far forward to meet up with the quick release pin (arrow 2) if you haven't swapped bracket locations, might be a good idea. You have ended up putting the left bracket on the right side etc. Also, once you figure out which bracket goes where, flip them around as this should then meet up the the quick release pin.

Question:

In my edited image which direction is the front of the jeep?.. One would assume that because you've mounted the support towards the left, as this would indicate the front is in that direction. However, if you've flipped the frame rails or installed them on the incorrect sides as this could mix up the entire system. I would make sure the brackets are in the correct direction and location.. the header channel mounted but not tied down with the support arms pointing towards the rear of the jeep as if you're folding the sunrider top back.

According to this pic, you have the header installed correctly (best I can tell) but the bracket is too far forward. Rotate the bracket 180° and /or swap brackets left to right, right to left.. just line the brackets up according to how the support bar is positioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to this edit image, the bracket (arrow 1) is too far forward to meet up with the quick release pin (arrow 2) if you haven't swapped bracket locations, might be a good idea. You have ended up putting the left bracket on the right side etc. Also, once you figure out which bracket goes where, flip them around as this should then meet up the the quick release pin.

Question:

In my edited image which direction is the front of the jeep?.. One would assume that because you've mounted the support towards the left, as this would indicate the front is in that direction. However, if you've flipped the frame rails or installed them on the incorrect sides as this could mix up the entire system. I would make sure the brackets are in the correct direction and location.. the header channel mounted but not tied down with the support arms pointing towards the rear of the jeep as if you're folding the sunrider top back.

According to this pic, you have the header installed correctly (best I can tell) but the bracket is too far forward. Rotate the bracket 180° and /or swap brackets left to right, right to left.. just line the brackets up according to how the support bar is positioned.
Thank you! Yes, it was the brackets. I switched those and it lined up perfect.

Now, I am just struggling with the tailgate bar. I've watched multiple videos just showing people sliding them into the tailgate bracket/inserts. Mine is not going that smoothly...doesn't even seem possible at this point. I am letting it sit in the sun and then I'm going to try it again.

Any tips on the tailgate bar? Is it possible to have that in the wrong way also?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not knowing how the trex top was designed, The tail gate bar has a rounded "U" shaped grove located on the top side (depending on how one hold it) where as the top should have the male rubber seam which slides into the female grove on the gate bar. Thus I'm hoping that these two components fit together just like the factory window to the gate bar.

Before you attempt to slide the two components together, make sure the gate bar is positioned correct on the rear of the jeep when the tail gate door is closed. If the bar seals meet up with the door in the correct orientation, with the U channel on top of the gate bar.. this should give you some indication as to how the rear window channel is to attach.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts