Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering running my BesTop TrekTop NX Twill on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK 4-door thru the winter. I see two problems with making the change, one being the complexity of the process [it took two of us 5 hours to install it] and the other being the scheduling of two friends at the same time as the weather cooperates.

I am in southwestern Ontario [London] where we get quite messy winters :( There will be several times when there is several inches of snow piled up on it in the morning, overnight temperatures in the -15`C to -20`C [+5`F to -4`F] range, and salty, slushy snow being splashed around by big trucks. Typically snowy, messy and cold.

I "have heard" [you know, internet forums :) ] that the zippers will not last more than a few years of this so better not, and OTOH that people have been running convertible tops thru winter for decades so why not. I am not concerned about keeping warm - I ran a convertible back in the 60s with no trouble, and this is Canada ya know :) I do understand about not scraping the plastic windows.

So I am interested in the experience, knowledge and even opinions of others, especially if you have run a BesTop TrekTop NX Twill thru at least a few winters, before I decide.

BTW, I love this top. I like the slope style, the heavy twill material and the overall look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was actually thinking the same thing the last few days and wanting to know what to do. I'm in Oakville, drive to and from Toronto every day for work.

I love my TrekTop NX I had installed in early July but although I'm not at all worried about winter driving with a Wrangler, I am worried about the potential weight of the snow on the convertible top if there is a big storm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a TrekTop, a TrekTop NX and a TrekTop Pro. Some have Black Diamond material, others Black Twill. The new Pro model has glass windows. Which do you have?

Mine is an NX, has the plastic windows and the twill material which is more durable, quieter, etc than the diamond material.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the email I sent to BesTop and their response, regarding running the BesTop NX Twill in messy Canadian winters ...

I am considering running my BesTop TrekTop NX Twill on my 2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU thru the winter. I see some problems with making the change, one being the complexity of the process [it took two of us 5 hours to install it] and another being the scheduling of myself plus two friends at the same time as the weather cooperates.

I am in southwestern Ontario Canada [London] where we get quite messy winters There will be times when there are several inches of snow piled up on it in the morning, overnight temperatures in the -15`C to -20`C [+5`F to -4`F] range, and salty, slushy snow being splashed around by big trucks. Typically snowy, messy and cold. I do understand about not scraping the plastic windows.

So my question is, how do these tops hold up over the course of several to many of these snowy, messy and cold winters? What special wash, protection, etc products should I use before winter to help protect it?
Thank you for contacting us. Our Trektop NX Twill should not be any trouble for you in the winter, however as you know the windows do get fragile in the cold and will crack if you try to scrap them off. Also do not let the snow pile on it and sit on the top. It will stretch the fabric and also water will eventually seep through. With the winters that you get, I would say it would be better not to have the top on for the winter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I previously asked BesTop about removal instructions. As you can see below a few parts can be left in place the rest must be removed. The procedure is to follow the install instructions in reverse order.

The install instructions are available for download from the BesTop website, in case you no longer have yours ...
http://assets.bestop.com/files/_bestop/1/6/4/56923_is.pdf

My previous question to BesTop ...

I want to completely remove the BesTop TrekTop NX Twill from my 2016 JK 4-door [JKU] for the winter so that I can install the hardtop. I have not found any videos or step-by-step instructions to do this. I prefer to not completely disassemble it, just remove it with as little disassembly as possible.

I have heard that BesTop recommends leaving it in place for the winter. I do not want to follow that option. Hope you can help, step-by-step would be great.

Their response ...

Winter Removal of BesTop TrekTop NX Twill JKU

The only two parts to the Trektop NX that can remain on your Jeep is the Cable Bracket and the Rear Bow Mount Bracket. Everything else (tailgate retainer mounts, door surrounds, etc) have to be removed. I've attached the instructions for you. To remove, work backwards.

Thank you,
Bestop Customer Service
800.845.3567 www.bestop.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One friend and myself removed the TrekTop and installed the hard top today. It took 1-1/2 hours. No instructions are needed, it all just comes off one part at a time. We did not disassemble any assemblies. One person can do it all except perhaps lifting and installing the hard top, which is most likely better with two guys.

Here are pics of the whole thing stored in my basement. I used the original box and big, yellow plastic bag ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cable brackets look like they must come off but they just just just fit under the hard top. I had to fiddle a bit with one of them so that is was not under stress from the top leaning on it. The rear bow mount bracket is not a problem. This is good to know as these parts would be tedious to remove and re-install.

It took us 5 hours to install it back in the late spring. I expect it will go back on in about the same time the removal took, 1-1/2 hours. I'll post back here next spring :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
The cable brackets look like they must come off but they just just just fit under the hard top. I had to fiddle a bit with one of them so that is was not under stress from the top leaning on it. The rear bow mount bracket is not a problem. This is good to know as these parts would be tedious to remove and re-install.

It took us 5 hours to install it back in the late spring. I expect it will go back on in about the same time the removal took, 1-1/2 hours. I'll post back here next spring :)
I have a NX top and waiting for warmer weather to install for the first time. I was wondering what to do when the weather gets ugly again....if I could leave certain components from the soft top and re-install the hard top. Nobody has responded....I'm glad I read your review. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, spring has arrived. I am not re-installing the top at this time because I am going on a long holiday into a remote part of the country where grizzly bears and other surprises await. Even the hard top will not keep such out of the Jeep, but will none-the-less make me feel a little better.

I may install it in early August, or I may wait until next year. A good reminder for me to post an update will be if someone else posts here as I will get an e-mail from the forum.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts