Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my third rear windshield and tailgate bar replacement for my trektop nx top (JKU) and still have an issue with water flooding my trunk. I know there's a lot of threads on this but most of them seem to be about the gaps on the side of the tailgate (my leak (visible gap) is in the center of the tailgate). I'll post pictures of my bar but would love it if other people who have the top can post pictures of theirs. It's hard to tell exactly how the bar should be sitting so an example of someone with a good tailgate bar would help me see where it's messed up.

Also, I just ordered the Mopar tailgate bar cuz I read that it fits the trektop and leaks less

Attachments

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I use the Mopar bar on my 2 door. So far, no leaks. I have a leak at my door sill, but I'm sure that's because of the aftermarket sill guard.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Just out of curiosity, can you rotate the bar down 90°? I think the gasket should be pointed down.

I didn't like the fit of my NX bar, though, so I just put the Mopar bar back in.

Also, if you look at the bar, it should have a slight bow to it. The tailgate isn't perfectly straight across.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use the Mopar bar on my 2 door. So far, no leaks. I have a leak at my door sill, but I'm sure that's because of the aftermarket sill guard.

Just out of curiosity, can you rotate the bar down 90°? I think the gasket should be pointed down.

I didn't like the fit of my NX bar, though, so I just put the Mopar bar back in.

Also, if you look at the bar, it should have a slight bow to it. The tailgate isn't perfectly straight across.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I can't pull it to 90° and if I do, it just goes right back to the way the picture shows

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Release the front latches, then try to rotate the bar, then latch the front latches.

Before you do that, take the bar out and check to see if the bow in the bar is correct the way I'm describing. As I said, I decided to use the OEM bar from day 1, but it also took me two days to get all the windows zipped up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Release the front latches, then try to rotate the bar, then latch the front latches.

Before you do that, take the bar out and check to see if the bow in the bar is correct the way I'm describing. As I said, I decided to use the OEM bar from day 1, but it also took me two days to get all the windows zipped up.

Sent from my SM-T550 using

Tapatalk
Just tried and no luck, even with latches undone, full strength pulling down and trying to twist to the right angle, and a bright sunny day (to help loosen the material). Which way should it be bowed? I think it's bowed the right way (towards me) but because I can't get the angle correct, it's like it's bowed upward. If that makes sense

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just tried and no luck, even with latches undone, full strength pulling down and trying to twist to the right angle, and a bright sunny day (to help loosen the material). Which way should it be bowed? I think it's bowed the right way (towards me) but because I can't get the angle correct, it's like it's bowed upward. If that makes sense
As Prages pointed out, it doesn't look right in your pictures. If you remove the tailgate bar from the back window entirely, can you install it with gasket hanging down?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Maybe unzip all but the last two inches of zipper on all windows, release front latches, and try again. I'm 99% sure the gasket should face straight down.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As Prages pointed out, it doesn't look right in your pictures. If you remove the tailgate bar from the back window entirely, can you install it with gasket hanging down?
Maybe unzip all but the last two inches of zipper on all windows, release front latches, and try again. I'm 99% sure the gasket should face straight down.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
I'll try both of these, and I'm sure you're right. Something must be too tight and restricting it (pulling it too hard) from turning all the way to the proper position. It's odd because most of the time it's sunny and humid so you'd think that'd loosen up the material and allow it fully stretch out

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'll try both of these, and I'm sure you're right. Something must be too tight and restricting it (pulling it too hard) from turning all the way to the proper position. It's odd because most of the time it's sunny and humid so you'd think that'd loosen up the material and allow it fully stretch out
When I installed the NX on my 2 door, it was about 90 degrees, and bright sunshine. Everything went well except there was about a 2 inch gap between the zippers on the rear window and the side window/sail panel.

I fought the thing for hours before giving up for the night.

Unzipping the side windows and unclipping the front latch gave me enough slack to get the rear window zipped. Then I zipped the side windows, tucked them into the tub, and then finally clasped the front latches.

It's gotten much easier in the month or so that I've had the top, but I think the trick is doing it in the right order, rather than the fabric stretching. I'd have sworn that rear window was too narrow to zip on both sides the first time I installed it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I installed the NX on my 2 door, it was about 90 degrees, and bright sunshine. Everything went well except there was about a 2 inch gap between the zippers on the rear window and the side window/sail panel.

I fought the thing for hours before giving up for the night.

Unzipping the side windows and unclipping the front latch gave me enough slack to get the rear window zipped. Then I zipped the side windows, tucked them into the tub, and then finally clasped the front latches.

It's gotten much easier in the month or so that I've had the top, but I think the trick is doing it in the right order, rather than the fabric stretching. I'd have sworn that rear window was too narrow to zip on both sides the first time I installed it.
here is a pic of mine. it was the hardest part of putting that top on the first time. when I finely got it to stay down I was scares to open the back for door for a week for fear it would pop back up. I havent had a problem since.
Thanks for the pic/example. And I'll try that tomorrow at some point, see if i can get it rotated a little more

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I had my bestop bar on today, and yours definitely needs rotated 90 degrees. The gasket goes straight down.

When you start to work on it, try fitting the bar first without the rear window attached. It should be obvious with just the bar which way it needs to be installed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts