Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I thought I had everything on correctly and was good to go. Fabric is awesome and looks great. Then I tried to install the windows and here is where everything took a turn for the worse. The right side went on perfectly, fit was tight but I got it on. Rear went on great and pretty easy. Then went to the left side...Seemed about an inch off where the zippers connect and this is where I get pissed. For the life of me I cannot get the top zipper to move into position to line up with the door zipper. I put it on anyway but the door latch part isn't far enough forward to properly seat where it goes. I have tried everything from completely removing the top and starting over. Nothing seems to work.

Is it possible the top just doesn't fit on that side or are these just poorly made. I have not contacted them yet because Bestop is closed on the weekend but will do so Monday morning. I hope there is a resolution to this because I just sold my hardtop and have no top currently. Thank for anyone who took the time to read this and has any advise.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I put mine on three weeks ago. I rode for a couple days without windows to give the top some time to stretch. I understand this may not be an option for everyone but it helped for me. When I did put the windows it it was a pain. I think I went about it the same way you did passenger side, back then driver side. I was only able to get he driver side zipped about 3.4 and I too did have the problem with the upper left corner of the driver side not making it around the lip all the way.

I recommend letting it stretch more before trying to button it all up. It needs time. also after giving it some time remove the rear window and unlatch the sail panels then reinstall the driver side window to get those zippers to line up properly. This is what I did and now the windows and top are stretched well enough where it's not an issue anymore.

Patience is the key. Let the fabric stretch.

It's a great looking top isn't it? :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice. Yes I think it looks awesome. I will ride around for a few days and see if it stretches any. It just doesn't look like the left side where the zippers are even fit. It's about an inch off do you recommend leaving th widows off an keep only the top on then trying it again in a few days? It put it all on even though the door seal doesn't fit properly with hopes of it stretching?

·
Registered
570 Posts
You could try attaching the door seal side of the window first before doing anything else. Make sure the sail panels rear window are unlatched to give you some slack.

If I remember right my top zipper was more rearward than the window zipper so I was really tugging towards the door on the top to try and get them matched up.

Hopefully you have some sunny warm weather where you are which also helps with the stretching.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I'm in Texas. May just put it on the best I can and leave it outside for a while and see if it stretches any. Does your header look like it is not down properly on each corner and will this cause leaking?

·
Registered
570 Posts
My header is down properly as far as I can tell and I have no leaks. I took it the self-serve car wash yesterday and pressure washed the whole thing to see if it would leak and it didn't. My only real complaint ans it's minor is the header latches don't ever have that break over point like the hard top latches do so I never feel like it's clamped down but it is.

Texas? Yeah just give it some time out in the sun. It will sort itself out in a few days for sure. I watched a lot of Bestop's videos and this is always the advice they give and warn you against trying to make it all button up out of the box. Don't force it by trying to use pliers to get the zippers all the ay closed as you might tear out the zipper seams, etc.

Time is your friend. Heck, even my back window wont zip closed for the final three inches or so still without some real work so I don't bother. It will stretch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in texas and I put my bestop trektop nx on in April and it took about a week of me driving around without any windows before I could get it all zipped up

·
Registered
103 Posts
OK, I thought I had everything on correctly and was good to go. Fabric is awesome and looks great. Then I tried to install the windows and here is where everything took a turn for the worse. The right side went on perfectly, fit was tight but I got it on. Rear went on great and pretty easy. Then went to the left side...Seemed about an inch off where the zippers connect and this is where I get pissed. For the life of me I cannot get the top zipper to move into position to line up with the door zipper. I put it on anyway but the door latch part isn't far enough forward to properly seat where it goes. I have tried everything from completely removing the top and starting over. Nothing seems to work.

Is it possible the top just doesn't fit on that side or are these just poorly made. I have not contacted them yet because Bestop is closed on the weekend but will do so Monday morning. I hope there is a resolution to this because I just sold my hardtop and have no top currently. Thank for anyone who took the time to read this and has any advise.
sorry to revive a way old thread here. I recently installed the Bestop Supertop NX Twill and cannot get the drivers side window to fit all the way into the door surround. the top couple inches cannot reach around that corner so to speak. did you have this issue? if so did it ultimately resolve itself? Seems like quite a few people have this issue but dont seem to post if it ever was resolved.
Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same issue. Driver side is worse than the passenger side. I installed the top about 6 weeks ago and I will say that it's better now than it was back then. Time and heat really help. It's not quite there yet but I am hoping by mid summer or so, I'll be able to roll it all the way into the channel.

Here's what I did to make it easier:
1) Make sure your header is not fully latched.
2) zip about 1 or 2 inches of the side window
3) roll the window into the door rail from bottom to top. As you get closer to the top of the door rail, it'll get harder and harder to roll the window in but it should -- hopefully -- be a little better than it usually looks.
4) zip the rest of the window into place and check door rail again to make sure it's as tight as you can make it.
5) snap bottom of window into place.
6) latch header.

This method gave me the best results so far. Also, check your web straps that connects the number 3 and number 4 bow to make sure it's not hung up on anything as that will mess things up as well.

Here's my install thread and you can see my driver side window. It's gotten a bit better since these photos were taken but I still think the correct view is one where the stitching should be vertical up to the horizontal stitching.

FWIW, I've had zero leaking from the top anywhere.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/bestop-supertop-nx-twill-install-review-1646969.html?highlight=

·
Registered
393 Posts
This comes up a lot. I'm starting to think that maybe they should modify the design a bit to make it a little easier. However I imagine this would make it sag after it stretches.
Here's my method.
Step 1. Do this on a warm day. If it's not at least 70 out, you can try running the heater at full blast a bit, or bring the top inside to warm up, or wait it out.
Step 2. Undo the header bar
Step 3. Undo the rear window
Step 4. Undo the rear sail panels
Step 5. Install the side window door frame channel
Step 6. Start the zipper on the side window
Step 7. Install the sail panel
Step 8. Zip up the window
Step 9. Install Rear window
Step 10. Attach the header bar

There you have it. Basically the top is tight. So you have to install the parts where you have little leverage first and end where you have the most leverage. I think the instructions have the rear window installed before the side windows. This forces you to try to pull the side window into the door frame channel and you have nothing to grab onto.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sold Wrangler over a year ago but still stalk the forum. Why oh why did I sell my Jeep?!?! The top specifically the door surrounds never stretched and fit properly. Even in Texas summer heat. They never seemed to be right. I contacted Bestop and their customer service as great and even sent me new replacement parts but even those didn't fix the issue. So I just got used to it and tried to forget about it. If my memory serves me right it never leaked tho. Hope you're all enjoying your wrangler, I can't wait to get my next one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bestop has instructional videos on this on their website. 80 plus degrees in the sun and take your time for best results.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine is newish and still does the same. It's the drivers side too... top 3-4 inches or so....

Seems the top zipper maybe sewn in the wrong spot... kind of annoying, wish they'd fix it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts