Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Installed my Bestop underseat lockbox yesterday. I got it from Jason at Krawl Off-Road, who was great to deal with and shipped it out very promptly.

Overall. Solid product. It's all steel and the door closes in such a way as to leave nothing to wrap fingers around to pull on. It feels very stout and I see no practical way somebody who breaks into the Jeep is going to get into it without time and tools. Candidly, I have no idea how I'd even try to break into if I lost the keys--absent a locksmith, it'd take removing it, hammering a pry bar into the door seam, and a lot of effort.

The roller hinges slide open very smoothly and stop firmly without going too far. The box doesn't rattle or anything while I'm driving. Color matches my black/dark grey interior perfectly. Easily worth the $50 price tag.

Install. Ridiculously simple. Unscrew stock bolts holding down front of seat, slide box in, reinstall bolts, admire handiwork. Takes about 10 minutes. The only thing to be aware of is the bolts are VERY tight from the factory. I used an 18" breaker bar, which made it reasonably easy with some firm pulling. However, I'd expect a smaller tool like an 8" wrech or something similar would be very, very difficult. I understand the 2011s and forward have some more they need to do under their seats with wiring and a bracket or some such thing, but for my 2010, it was easy.

Complaints. My only "complaint" would be that it's narrower than I'd hoped. I tried to take some pics with my hand in the shot to give a sense of perspective. That said, the box completely fills the space available--I can't even slide a finger in on either side of the box. So the lack of width isn't Bestop's fault.

Very happy. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
This may seem like an odd ?-
As a gun owner and carrier-could I get the height and width of the internal floor? Also-does it protrude much from under the front of the seat? If someone looked in through a closed window-would they see the lock or the front of the box under the seat?
TIA!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Looks good. :thumb:

In fact, in that first picture it looks just like the Tuffy I've got in mine (I know it's not, though, cuz the interior part of the lock mechanism looks different.)

Good place to store the cannon before going into the gc to buy some milk. :D

Know what you mean about the seat bolts. Torque specs call for 45 ft-lbs...mine had to be around 100.

·
Registered
173 Posts
kbwwolf said:
Looks good. :thumb:

In fact, in that first picture it looks just like the Tuffy I've got in mine (I know it's not, though, cuz the interior part of the lock mechanism looks different.)

Good place to store the cannon before going into the gc to buy some milk. :D

Know what you mean about the seat bolts. Torque specs call for 45 ft-lbs...mine had to be around 100.
You do know in WI-you can get your ccw pretty easy now-and storing a loaded gun in your car is a felony....;)

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As a gun owner and carrier-could I get the height and width of the internal floor?
I'll take a tape measure to it this weekend, but it's only going to be able to hold a smaller pistol. I'm dubious that my CZ-75 would fit. Probably will, but it'll be close.

Also-does it protrude much from under the front of the seat?
No. The "puffy" area of the seat that sits behind your knees protrudes farther.

If someone looked in through a closed window-would they see the lock or the front of the box under the seat?
No. You have to open the door and get your head down near the door hinges before you see it. The last picture is the closest to the type of angle you'd have looking in the window. You can imagine that if you closed it, you'd never see it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Looks great! I might have to add this to my wish list ;)

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
189 Posts
I like mine but the noise issue is annoying. BTW I would never store a firearm in it.
Yeah, the Bestop one is cheaply made. You can go in and tighten the latch mechanism, then put adhesive weatherstrip around the outside where the drawer face contacts the box and this will take care of the rattle noise you hear over bumps or on trails. The Tuffy doesn't have this issue and is noise free. I have both in our two JKs and much prefer the Tuffy. I store a 6" S&W .357 revolver in it no problem.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, the Bestop one is cheaply made. You can go in and tighten the latch mechanism, then put adhesive weatherstrip around the outside where the drawer face contacts the box and this will take care of the rattle noise you hear over bumps or on trails. The Tuffy doesn't have this issue and is noise free. I have both in our two JKs and much prefer the Tuffy. I store a 6" S&W .357 revolver in it no problem.
To be fair, the Tuffy is more than twice the cost of the Bestop, so it better do something better. I haven't noticed any rattle yet . . . I'll have to listen more closely.

·
Registered
189 Posts
To be fair, the Tuffy is more than twice the cost of the Bestop, so it better do something better. I haven't noticed any rattle yet . . . I'll have to listen more closely.
True. The Bestop does the job. All I'm saying is that if you have the budget, then spring for the Tuffy as you do indeed get better construction (heavier duty hinges, more interior space, stronger lock, no rattles, and does't slide open at a stop when unlocked). Just my $0.02 from experience with both.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True. The Bestop does the job. All I'm saying is that if you have the budget, then spring for the Tuffy as you do indeed get better construction (heavier duty hinges, more interior space, stronger lock, no rattles, and does't slide open at a stop when unlocked). Just my $0.02 from experience with both.
Agreed. Based on the reviews I've read, if I had no limits on the discretionary income to spend on my Jeep, I would've gone with the Tuffy.

I choose the Bestop based on the idea--which I think is correct--that I'll get 90% of the Tuffy's performance for 40% of the cost. As with so many things, it's that last 10% or so of performance that adds the most to the cost.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a S&W 500 with 8 3/8" barrel and it easily fits in the Tuffy box.
Good to know. I should mention I haven't actually tried to put a pistol in my Bestop, so perhaps my concern that my CZ-75 won't fit is unwarranted.

Vince1 would know best as he has both, but it appears from the pictures I've seen online that the two have essentially the same dimensions. I would think it very likely that if a particular pistol fits in the Tuffy, it will fit in the Bestop and vice-a-versa.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This may seem like an odd ?-
As a gun owner and carrier-could I get the height and width of the internal floor? Also-does it protrude much from under the front of the seat? If someone looked in through a closed window-would they see the lock or the front of the box under the seat?
TIA!
My Glock 23 in it's holster fits nicely :whistling:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts