Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received the top yesterday but will not install it until this weekend. I've opened the boxes and checked everything out. The 42-page instructions are a bit cryptic, but probably adequate. It says 4 hours for "moderately difficult" installation. The first page of the instructions does say that there is an installation video on Bestop's website, but that does not yet appear to be true.

The main frame pieces are the front and rear door surrounds, and the rear side window carriers...and of course, the "halo". The halo consists of a very beefy metal cross brace, the two plastic or composite side pillars and a top crosspiece made of the same material with a honey-comb pattern on the back side for rigidity. Despite being lightweight, it all looks pretty darn sturdy and well thought out. The 4 main pieces of the rear halo, including the metal cross brace, weigh a total of about 15 pounds.

If I planned to cruise around much with the side windows out, I'd probably consider painting the halo pieces. The black finish on them is very uneven and looks kinda cheesy. But as long as they are covered with the side panel fabric, no problem.

One complaint I've read several times is about losing storage space with the slightly slanted top. I think that will be a non-issue, especially for those who already run soft tops. If you'll check out the back of your Jeep, you'll notice that the soft top frame actually takes up quite a bit of space between and behind the roll bar...er...I mean the sport bar. All of those frame pieces, pivot brackets, etc., will disappear when this top is installed.

If anyone is going to be in Moab for Jeep Safari in a couple of weeks, my like-new, non-premium soft top will be for sale.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Interested in hearing your opinion. I am thinking of the NX or one of these for the summer.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way, the guys at Northridge 4x4 opened the boxes and added packing materials to further protect the glass in transit. There was a lot of paper padding in there that probably did not come from Bestop. I was initially concerned when I saw that the boxes had been opened and re-sealed, but it was apparently for a good reason. I call that good customer service...even if they did maybe just wanna take a quick peek at the new top.

Bonus: if you're in Moab for Jeep safari and are interested in going home with my non-premium soft top, PM me...I'll even throw in a brand new, sealed bottle of Zipper Lube which I will never again need. :bop:

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Waiting on your feedback and a pic or two. My wife,s new ride may just get one of these. We love our NX Twill. By the way, what type of fabric is on the Pro, I have been assuming it would be twill based on the price?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
By the way, what type of fabric is on the Pro, I have been assuming it would be twill based on the price?
Yes...twill.

I just measured the side windows in comparison to the regular soft top side windows. The size is not that much different. Measured across the middle vertically and horizontally, the OEM windows are 15.5" high X 23" long. The Trektop Pro sliding windows are 15" high X 20" long.

The sliding windows are very solid and smooth. They seem similar to the sliding windows in the soft upper half-doors I had on my '03 Rubicon. There was never any problem with rattling or leaks (I saw a post where someone said they would probably rattle like crazy). There is a surprising number of speculative Trektop Pro haters already.

I've earned my living as a photographer for 40 years, so there will be photos coming, of course...but probably not until at least Saturday afternoon. I'll take several install photos with my little point-n-shoot. I'm sure others will be installing this top soon too...and anyone doing so is more than welcome to post their pix in this thread.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Still waiting on mine. 4 hr. installation? Great, knowing me that means 8. Be interested to hear how your install goes. Sub'd.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thats crazy. A stock soft top takes less than 15 minutes.
I figured you'd jump into this thread. I've seen your numerous negative comments in other threads on this top. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

The 4 hours is for a first-time install...unpackaging, sorting parts, hooking up the wiper, heater, attaching trim and adhesive insulating pieces, assembling brackets, etc. Once all of that is done, the main fabric pieces can probably be removed and reinstalled within a matter of minutes. The rear halo can also be removed rather easily, though I doubt that I'll ever take it out.

Bestop indicates that it takes about 3 hours for the initial install of a factory-style soft top. I installed a new Sunrider soft top on my '03 Rubicon, and sure wasn't able to do that in anything close to 15 minutes. I'm obviously not as proficient as you. If you can do a complete initial install of a stock top on an Unlimited in "less than 15 minutes", please do so and post a video to show us all how it can be done in that amount of time. I've sometimes spent 15 minutes just fighting with well-maintained zippers, which, thankfully, do not exist on this top.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I figured you'd jump into this thread. I've seen your numerous negative comments in other threads on this top. If you don't like it, don't buy it. The 4 hours is for a first-time install...unpackaging, sorting parts, hooking up the wiper, heater, attaching trim and adhesive insulating pieces, assembling brackets, etc. Once all of that is done, the main fabric pieces can probably be removed and reinstalled within a matter of minutes. The rear halo can also be removed rather easily, though I doubt that I'll ever take it out. Bestop indicates that it takes about 3 hours for the initial install of a factory-style soft top. I installed a new Sunrider soft top on my '03 Rubicon, and sure wasn't able to do that in anything close to 15 minutes. I'm obviously not as proficient as you. If you can do a complete initial install in "less than 15 minutes", please do so and post a video to show us all how it can be done in that amount of time. I've sometimes spent 15 minutes just fighting with zippers, which, thankfully, do not exist on this top.
They aren't negative comments. I'm just pointing out things I don't like which I know others might not as well. I've pointed out things I like too. I agree zippers suck and usually break or rip over time. I love the glass rear window. I like the look of the sunrider as well. I'm also not bashing your purchase. I was just trying to point out things that might be a pain for others. I do really like the look and functionality of this top if you like just Sunrider but also need the access to the rear. I personally like full top down and a shade. I also said there is no perfect top for everyone. I look forward to your comments and photos.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I'd love in depth pictures of how easily the halo is removed after the initial install. That thing looks pretty bad back there when the Jeep is "naked". If it just slides off or something that would be great, but still another huge puzzle piece to find a place to store when it's apart. I don't think I'll ever be a buyer for one of these, as I find no faults with the Trektop NX, but I am intrigued by it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got around to installing the top yesterday. I'll post a few before and after photos, and then give my impressions in 3 categories: appearance, function, and installation. I also took a few photos during the installation which I'll post.

Reactions: Kansas Slim

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Butt shots:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Two more:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First Impressions - Appearance:

I love the appearance of the Trektop Pro. The lines are smoother than the OEM top, the slanted back makes the vehicle look better proportioned, and the twill fabric looks infinitely better than the non-premium fabric.

The OEM soft top has several peaks and valleys...not to mention a whole lot of wrinkles in the fabric and even windows. The Trektop Pro is much flatter on top, with only a small peak over the sound bar caused by the Sunrider bracket. And the Trektop Pro is pretty much wrinkle-free.

When I first saw the top last November, I didn't really like the looks of the side windows. However, after seeing them in person, I really do like them. They are a bit smaller than the OEM windows, but that's not really a problem for me.

Overall, it just looks like a high-end top.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Can't wait for the rest of the reviews and more pictures!!! It looks really good so far! :thumb:

Nice Easter egg in that tree trunk, too! :D

1 - 20 of 350 Posts