Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 95 YJ, my first wrangler (!), and discovered in the rain today that the soft top that came on it has several small holes and tears. It still has the factory hardware on it, but it is pretty rickety so I was looking to replace it as well. Can I replace the factory hardware with besttop hardware and still have a watertight fit? Or do I need to find the factory-style hardware? Is the besttop soft top any easier to put down than the factory style on the YJs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
647 Posts
it depends on what you get, the bestop hardware is basically factory replacement, and so is the top. the bestop super top is different and is made for people who have full doors, though it can be used with half doors if you get new uppers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

How about the way it fits around the rest of the body? My parents have a TJ and said they had a lot of problems with the way the besttop soft top hardware fits on the body itself. Not sure if thats true for the YJ as well, or if they just had a bad one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a bestop sunrider top on my 95. I like it a lot better than the original softop and hardware. The only downside is the surrounds around the doors. It still seals pretty good and its way easier to take down than the original top. I need a new top now and will be going back with the sunrider.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
BesTop is about as good as it gets for aftermarket. If it didn't fit right on a Jeep then either they used the wrong top/hardware or don't know how to install it properly.

I'd personally buy the replace-a-top from BesTop. You need to get the OEM replacement, not the supertop. The supertop you will need the round doors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts