Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something better than my old yellow lights. I would prefer something I can pick up local with cash (momma doesn’t have to know everything). Autozone, NAPA, or such.
Would like to spend $50-100, not looking for JW Speaker type stuff. Would also prefer replaceable bulbs.
Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I suggest the headlight relay upgrade as well as some h4(replaceable bulbs)....a little over $100 and much better. I have the standard 55/60 bulbs now but can be changed for the 100w bulbs at a later date...

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t

Reactions: Jak_Rak

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
The relay is an absolute must. With just the relay, I increased my voltage at the headlight plugs from 10.something to 11.32 with the engine off.

Relay on EBAY for $15.00 to $25.00.
Amazon Prime has the relay for $20.00 and free shipping.
I made my own, but it would have been easier and cheaper to buy a pre-made harness.

Quadratec has Rampage H4s for $85.00 a pair. These are DOT headlamps with bulbs.
They also have Hella H4s for $85.00 a pair and these are the better E-Code lamps but without bulbs.
Free shipping from Qtec over $50.00.
NAPA has H4 bulbs for $20.00 a pair.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is this relay you talk about a standard thing or something special? From the sounds of it, voltage is being lost through poor wiring size? Are you just putting a relay, activated by the light switch, in line to a heavier gauge wire from the battery?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Is this relay you talk about a standard thing or something special? From the sounds of it, voltage is being lost through poor wiring size? Are you just putting a relay, activated by the light switch, in line to a heavier gauge wire from the battery?
You got it! Just simple relays - one for low, one high.

Some people do their own wiring. Plug and play versions are available on Amazon and Ebay.

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
If you do an H4 conversion, get this and you probably wont need to do the relay. SUPER bright on high beams, polite on low when aimed properly.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-8000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B06XHD78DQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1510078064&sr=1-4&keywords=H4+LED
According to what I see on the Beamtech ad, there's no listing for H4 bulb replacement.

Reviews are pretty good. I wonder why no H4?

At 50W. I would still want to do a relay conversion to provide full battery voltage. Beamtech ad states 32V. bulb. I assume there is a transformer built into the bulb.

If they work as well as the reviews claim, the cost/benefit makes these bulbs seem like a good deal.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, thanks.
So I need that harness, then go to autozone (or such) and buy light housings and H4 bulbs?

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yes, I just did my lights a week ago...had the harness done already a few months ago and it alone improved the brightness. I got the Hella e codes with standard 55/60w bulbs(for now :)) Never looked at local auto part stores??? Amazon was my friend.

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
The relay kit posted by steves92 (or one like it) is what you want. Your link to the headlight wires at Summit Racing are simply replacement plugs that go onto the headlight bulbs.

You may be able to buy a headlight relay harness locally but I don't remember ever seeing any.
Same thing for the H4 conversion.

The polycarbonate lenses are cheaper, but they may become cloudy with time. I made sure the lights I bought had glass lenses.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are the Hella’s and Rampage both glass?
So even if I buy the Hella H4’s from quadratic I’ll need the harness, correct?
If so, is the harness a solder item, splice and crimp, or...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The Hellas are glassharness is plug and play, takes about 20 mins or so to put in. Simply zip tie it along the wire loom below the radiator and up to each headlight location and secure the relay somewhere on the wheel well and terminate your power wire.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Hellas are glassharness is plug and play, takes about 20 mins or so to put in. Simply zip tie it along the wire loom below the radiator and up to each headlight location and secure the relay somewhere on the wheel well and terminate your power wire.

Awesome. This is on my list.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Would you please explain “terminate your power wire”?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Harness comes with large gauge red wire with ring lug, I believe. If I’m not mistaken, instructions stated to attach under power wire nut on fuse panel in front of battery?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I’ll try and get a pic later if you want?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are the Hella’s and Rampage both glass?
So even if I buy the Hella H4’s from quadratic I’ll need the harness, correct?
If so, is the harness a solder item, splice and crimp, or...
I have the Rampage conversion on my YJ and they have glass lenses.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, Thanks Jak_Rak.
I would love a pic, but no big hurry, Steve.
I had to pull the winch last night and it really got me thinking. I’m now deciding between:
Upgrade my lights like we’ve been discussing, or
Just slap in some silver stars and put some auxiliary lights on my bumper.
Thoughts...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts