Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I’m no expert, so I may be wrong.
I think the amazon ones are DOT and the quadratec ones are the E-Codes.
I’m leaning toward the quadratec ones.
Can anyone confirm they come in a set (2)?
This part confuses me:
“One Hella E-code Headlight Housing.”
But, later it says:
“PARTS INCLUDED
Headlight Housing - Pair
Bulbs - Pair
Dust Boots - Pair”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered the e codes and yes, it was for both. I can’t speak for the cheaper hb2 ones but the h4’s are nice! I did adjust the slightly down and still may be better adjusted but no complaints. High beams are ridiculous and can see everything! Not sure if I ever will buy the brighter 100 watt bulbs haha.

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I ordered the e codes and yes, it was for both. I can’t speak for the cheaper hb2 ones but the h4’s are nice! I did adjust the slightly down and still may be better adjusted but no complaints. High beams are ridiculous and can see everything! Not sure if I ever will buy the brighter 100 watt bulbs haha.

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t

Thanks again steve.
The ones I posted from quadratec are the ones I’m looking for, right?
These:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_6011.htm

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Awesome.
Ordered. Now crossing my fingers they’ll be here before the weekend.
Thanks to everyone for their help.
I will report back.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Did you get the relay harness installed already? It doesn’t take long. You should see a slight difference with that alone.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Nope. Just ordered it yesterday.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Instructor9 if you do this mod will you take pics of the complete install including parts bought, relay install from starting point to headlamp and finished mod. I have an 89 as well. This thread is great but is hard to follow from an installation stand point.
https://youtu.be/CmchV464jcE

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks Jak_Rak, I watched the video then went out and looked around.
I simply can’t find the plug (the original female connector that he talks about on the video) that supplies the on/off from my headlight switch.
I am pretty sure it isn’t in the passenger side like in the video. There is no wiring coming to my passenger side headlight except the wires (coming from under the radiator) that go to my passenger side headlight, a ground, and 2 wires that appear to go to my side marker.
I’m guessing my plug is on the drivers side, but again, I’m not sure. Could it be that my ‘89 is backwards from the video?
I’m wondering if I’m just missing something.
Does my new plug actually plug into the old plug that is currently plugged into my headlight, or am I looking for another plug? Do I simply unplug my (drivers side, I think) headlight and plug my new (harness) male plug into it? Or am I looking for a completely separate plug for my new male plug?
He says on the video he taped-up the drivers side plug (the one that used to go into the back of his headlight) but didn’t mention taping-up the one for his passenger side headlight. Is that because that’s where the new male plug goes?
I think I’m ranting, I hope y’all understand what I’m saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkj

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks Jak_Rak, I watched the video then went out and looked around.
I simply can’t find the plug (the original female connector that he talks about on the video) that supplies the on/off from my headlight switch.
I am pretty sure it isn’t in the passenger side like in the video. There is no wiring coming to my passenger side headlight except the wires (coming from under the radiator) that go to my passenger side headlight, a ground, and 2 wires that appear to go to my side marker.
I’m guessing my plug is on the drivers side, but again, I’m not sure. Could it be that my ‘89 is backwards from the video?
I’m wondering if I’m just missing something.
Does my new plug actually plug into the old plug that is currently plugged into my headlight, or am I looking for another plug? Do I simply unplug my (drivers side, I think) headlight and plug my new (harness) male plug into it? Or am I looking for a completely separate plug for my new male plug?
He says on the video he taped-up the drivers side plug (the one that used to go into the back of his headlight) but didn’t mention taping-up the one for his passenger side headlight. Is that because that’s where the new male plug goes?
I think I’m ranting, I hope y’all understand what I’m saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkj
In the video, the yellow plug attaches to EITHER head light plug of your harness, and the blue ones plug on your headlights.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Okay, thank you.
Is there any order I should go in?
Hook the red wire last, or anything like that?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does my new plug actually plug into the old plug that is currently plugged into my headlight, or am I looking for another plug? Do I simply unplug my (drivers side, I think) headlight and plug my new (harness) male plug into it?
Yes, and yes. The new (3-prong male) plug connects to the old headlight (3-prong female) plug. That's all there is to it.

As Tophog pointed out, you can plug in to either one of your original headlight connectors, driver or passenger side, but which one you can use will depend on the length of the harness. If you lay out your harness first, and see where everything is going to end up, it will be pretty self-explanatory. Start at the battery and work your way out.

I had to use the passenger side headlight socket due to the layout of the Octane harness. There's a "short leg" with the three-prong male connector, and it reaches the passenger side headlight, and only the passenger side, due to the location of the battery and the length of the main power wire.

Is there any order I should go in?
Hook the red wire last, or anything like that?
Again, lay out your harness first without connecting anything. Pick a good spot for the relays. Make sure all the connectors will reach their intended locations before you go crazy with the zip ties. I would attach the relays, plug in all your connectors, be sure the fuse is securely seated in the holder, and then connect the power last.

The YJ in the video is a '94. I'm pretty sure the battery is on the passenger side of your '89 too.

Another note: if you have a Canadian model Jeep with DRLs, the relays will not work well with the DRL module when your headlights are off, but on daytime power. You will need to unplug the DRL module to get the relays to stop buzzing, but you'll lose your high-beam indicator. Ask me how I know. (There is a fix for this but I haven't bothered to look at the wiring diagram yet.)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks AGAIN Jak_Rak.
I am currently in the middle of the install and have a question.
The plugs just slid on the bulbs. They don’t “snap” on?
They don’t seem very secure, but I am totally new at this.
I just don’t want them vibrating/sliding off on my way to work one morning.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks AGAIN Jak_Rak.
I am currently in the middle of the install and have a question.
The plugs just slid on the bulbs. They don’t “snap” on?
They don’t seem very secure, but I am totally new at this.
I just don’t want them vibrating/sliding off on my way to work one morning.
No, they just slide on. The prongs are held on by the contacts in the connectors, much like a receptacle in your house.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Oh, okay thanks.
Next dumb question in a long list of such.
The glass on the Hella housing has an odd pattern on each one. Doesn’t matter which side I put them on the weird pattern in on my right if I’m standing in front of the Jeep.
Mean anything?
Ima gonna try to post a pic.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh, okay thanks.
Next dumb question in a long list of such.
The glass on the Hella housing has an odd pattern on each one. Doesn’t matter which side I put them on the weird pattern in on my right if I’m standing in front of the Jeep.
Mean anything?
Ima gonna try to post a pic.
That's correct, as long as the part marked "TOP" is at the top.

I believe those are ECE headlights. They have a very sharp cutoff on the light pattern. That's the reason for the triangle shape on the glass, to the best of my knowledge.

https://www.retrofitlab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ece-cutoff-beam.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well, I got them in. Once I was walked-through the process and figured out the plug from my new harness can plug into either of my old headlight plugs, it was a very simple process. Ended-up just using the screws that’s supposed to be holding my jack (anyone know of a good place to find a jack and the mounting hardware?) to secure my relays and ground. Also used a preexisting screw on the other side.
I’m holding out on the verdict for now. They’re definitely better, but I have dark spots. I’m thinking they’re not adjusted just right.
I was flashed last night by 1 vehicle out of probably 20, so I may take them down about a half of a turn and see what that does. I don’t have a level area where I back-up 21’ from a wall.
I still don’t understand the weird pattern (see pic above) that’s on the lenses. It’s just weird that the pattern wouldn’t either be inside or outside on both lenses.
I cannot express how much I appreciate your help guys.

Yellowfever89, I think you should be able to see what I ordered and how to properly install it now. But if you have any questions feel free to ask.
I’m no mechanic,but completed the install (including the new headlights) in a little over an hour.

Reactions: Tophog

·
Registered
158 Posts
I still don’t understand the weird pattern (see pic above) that’s on the lenses. It’s just weird that the pattern wouldn’t either be inside or outside on both lenses.
ECE (European) spec headlights - like the ones you purchased - have the sharp cutoff like that. If you look at the pic in my post above, you'll see that the left side (oncoming traffic) has a lower light pattern to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. The right side has more light to illuminate the side of the road, and signage. (The pattern is reversed for drivers in the UK, since they drive to the left.)

The US DOT pattern is a bit more spread out and doesn't have a sharp demarcation. That's probably what you're used to seeing. The "dark spots" you're experiencing are probably where the ECE beam is much lower and more defined than the DOT beam.

Check out the link below. If you go almost to the end the page, you'll see two drawings that illustrate what I'm trying to explain better than I'm explaining it.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Unfortunately, you're not going to get the full benefit of the headlights unless they are aimed properly.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Maybe I should be asking Daniel Stern this, but don't people in Europe drive on the LEFT SIDE of the road? Wouldn't the 'cut out' be on the upper right of the bulb?

Either way, every idiot in my town who bought those NEWFANGLED, SUPER WHITE, SUPER COOL, BRIGHT AS SH*T bulbs don't adjust them. And I don't even think we have an authorized shop in town that knows the proper adjustments!

(But at least with all the lights shining up, we are prepared at night to look for UFOs, North Korean bombers and errant drones!

Living 30 miles from Mercury, NV . . . where the Air Force drones bombing the crap out of ISLAMIC pricks worldwide are controlled . . . makes me feel safer.)

So I just drive as normal, and flip of the arses coming in my direction with their aircraft landing lights ablaze!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maybe I should be asking Daniel Stern this, but don't people in Europe drive on the LEFT SIDE of the road? Wouldn't the 'cut out' be on the upper right of the bulb?
Continental Europe drives on the right, like the US and Canada, with oncoming traffic on the left. The UK & Ireland drive on the left, with oncoming traffic on the right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're looking for obnoxious LED headlights, I picked up a pair from Amazon for about $100. They're bright as hell, DOT approved and just plug and play.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts