Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Goodrich A/T tires for my JK -- first ever offroad tires for me, 265/70R17. After 3 offroad weekends and a mere 5,000 miles, I noticed that the edge of each tire is shearing off. Photos below show how the degree, as much as 3/8". It is also only happening on the edge of the tire, not in the center. I air down to 15 psi when I'm offroad.

Is this normal? I showed Discount Tire -- they sold me the tires -- and they gave me a song and dance how it was normal and that the shearing would stop. I don't buy it.

The BFG A/T gets great reviews online but I haven't found even one word about this type of shearing. Any comments or advice? Thanks, Tom H

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmm, possible alignment issue? "tire scrub" cause from incorrect toe angle possibly?
Year and mileage of jeep? Ever been aligned?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hmm, possible alignment issue? "tire scrub" cause from incorrect toe angle possibly?
Year and mileage of jeep? Ever been aligned?
Good thoughts but the tires are new, they were installed and aligned by Discount Tire. DT would've raised these issues, I expect, if they could claim. BTW it's a 2007 JK with 60K miles.

And it's happening on all four tires, not just one or two.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Normal in my experience. Rocks are rough on tires. I had the same tires on my 4Runner and they got roughed up, but no more so than the other tires I have run.

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
4,645 Posts
Mine were that way too, did you get DTs warranty? It's worth it, they'll replace the tires no questions asked.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
That is the typical sign of an underinflated tire, overinflated would be wearing out the center of a tire. Here are some pictures with explanations. Have you done the "chalk test" or something similar to make sure your street pressure is optimal? If you drive alot of miles at 15 psi even on hard dirt this will happen.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had some... Same thing started to happen. Then, everytime I'd offroad, pieces would fall off my tire. BFG and Discount Tire told me it was "normal".

Traded for duratracs and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Normal in my experience. Rocks are rough on tires. I had the same tires on my 4Runner and they got roughed up, but no more so than the other tires I have run.
Please clarify --

Did it happen as quickly as for me (5K miles, four months, 3 offroad trips)
Did it happen only on the outside, not the middle of the tread
Did it stop?

Because if I lose 1/4" or 3/8" every 5 K miles then there'll be nothing left on the outside tread.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is the typical sign of an underinflated tire, overinflated would be wearing out the center of a tire. Here are some pictures with explanations. Have you done the "chalk test" or something similar to make sure your street pressure is optimal? If you drive alot of miles at 15 psi even on hard dirt this will happen.
Understand that the tire is only underinflated while I'm offroad, three times in 5 months, maybe 20 miles each time. So for 60 of the 5,000 miles I've driven on them, the tire is underinflated. And note the picture -- it's not uneven wear, it's the chipping away at the leading edge of the tire. Of course I figure it's due to rocks but even with the stress of rock climbing, it would seem to me that the tire wouldn't be losing so much rubber.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had some... Same thing started to happen. Then, everytime I'd offroad, pieces would fall off my tire. BFG and Discount Tire told me it was "normal".

Traded for duratracs and haven't had a problem since.
Siren, thanks, this is good info. You got yours from Discount as well? Did BFG provide you with a credit?

Duratracs is my other option. Also wondering if there are tires that are known to be less soft. Know something about Toyo A/Ts?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
That's actually normal for those tires. You also need to watch for premature cracking between the lugs also. BFG tires are extremely over-rated, as you can read about in other threads about them. And finally, you better make sure your alignment is perfect because those tires wear funny also. Run the proper pressures and check them often.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I have no opinion only information. I have ran 3 sets of BFGs on my TJ. (I realize it is not the same as a JK or a JKU)

I ran 31's not 33s. My TJ has had 2 alignments on it since 2004 when I bought it. The first was to TRY to correct a front end wobble, issue was tires needing re-balanced.
The second time was when I had suspension lift added.

After the wobble issue I have rotated and balanced my tires/ wheels regularly. Every 3K miles.The BFGs last between 50-60K miles, for my driving.

I recently purchased a set of 33x 12.5 Duratracs, and added a BL and MML in addition to suspension lift I already had....as good as my BFGs are/ were the Duratracs are much better on and off road. I still have a set of 31 Bfgs on stock wheels, with plenty off tread, and will use them next summer and probably a couple more summers after that.

I am not trying to "Sell you" on the Duratracs. The BFGs were a "decent" all around tire, but I rotated every time I changed my oil. The shops I use include "lifetime balance, rotation, and road hazard". This is only available on A/T tires, not available on KM2s around here.

In the 120k+ miles I put on 3 sets of BFGs I never had the issue you show, however I never needed to "air down" when I went wheeling. But I only ran about 26-28psi for my TJ. and my Duratracs are at the same and working great.

·
Registered
694 Posts
If it was one tire, I would think bad tire. It's all 4 so its driving habits or low tire pressure. Looks like its been driven hard into some corners and the rubber is balling up. You definately need to do a chalk test, without that you can just guess all day what it could be. Need to rule out air pressure first. I am not sure about the A/T but on the KM they recommend 37 PSI cold on the JK.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do not know to much about the toyo a/t's but the m/t's are a great tire. Not loud great off road and even wear. I ran the km2's as well and these are a little bit harder I run these down to 12 psi off road and they work very well. One draw back is they are a bit more expensive as I'm running 37's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts