Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow forum members..... I thought I had pretty well decided to go with 315/70R17 Ridge Grapplers on by build. But my buddy decided to go and through a wrench into things. He recently purchased a 2018 Ford Raptor and is putting larger tires on it. He is offering his take offs at a reasonable price. They are 315/70R17 BFG AT KO. There are even five of them do to the dealership he purchased from having installed a Baja style carrier with matching rim and tire in the bed. So thoughts on the comparison of these tires?
Hopefully someone with experience with both will chime in.

Thanks All,
Matt

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
Hello fellow forum members..... I thought I had pretty well decided to go with 315/70R17 Ridge Grapplers on by build. But my buddy decided to go and through a wrench into things. He recently purchased a 2018 Ford Raptor and is putting larger tires on it. He is offering his take offs at a reasonable price. They are 315/70R17 BFG AT KO. There are even five of them do to the dealership he purchased from having installed a Baja style carrier with matching rim and tire in the bed. So thoughts on the comparison of these tires?
Hopefully someone with experience with both will chime in.

Thanks All,
Matt
2 very good tires. I'd give an edge to the Nitto's for off-road capability and durability. And an edge to the KO2's for ride quality due to their C load rating.

A deal on the KO2's would be hard to pass up.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
BFG all terrains have been a great AT tire for 20+ years. There is a reason people are still buying them. The only issues I've seen with them is they do tend to cake up quickly with mud if you are always driving in muddy spots and you have to make sure you rotate them or they sometimes wear funny. I have a set on my truck and have had them on there for years. they are great on the highway for daily driving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My trail partner loves them on his new JL. I have KM2 and they are loud on the highway and his are quite. Big difference. He goes everywhere I go with no problem. Never seen it in mud though. I’m going to put them on mine when I need new tires.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I love my Nitto Trails. Nitto and BFG are both great tire companies. For me it would depend how good of deal I was getting. If I was saving 35-40% off street price I would go with the KOs. I have had them on my CJs in the past and they are a great tire.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who have replied so far! The tires are E load rating not C as someone eluded to in a previous post. Tires have roughly 4100 miles on them and he wants $850.

·
Super Moderator
22,066 Posts
Thanks to all who have replied so far! The tires are E load rating not C as someone eluded to in a previous post. Tires have roughly 4100 miles on them and he wants $850.
they must not be the oem raptor tires then as those are C rated. I personally think that is a fair deal for 5 as long as they are evenly worn and no damage.

·
Registered
810 Posts
A deal on the KO2's would be hard to pass up.
I thought so too, got a deal ($500 for all 4, 2k miles on them) on some 35s for my Super Duty. Problem is, on wet grass or slight mud, they won't move the truck. The guy warned me, but he had them on an F150 so I figured my f250 would be heavy enough to push them in for some traction, lol.

I would throw Toyo AT2's into the mix, Nitto makes a great tire but I have yet to find anything that will actually compete against the Toyos. You get a great highway tire, real offroad capabilities and longevity. The big plus in a Jeep is that you don't hear the Toyos.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MW- I have had two sets of Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on a previous truck. They both lasted apx 60k miles and took me anywhere I wanted to go.... great in snow and ice as well. So not concerned about the Nittos and longevity. As far as being factory tires on the raptor.... not sure why the dealership would take new tires off a vehicle and replace them with the exact same tire and size but increase the load capacity. These BFGs are clearly marked with an E rating. The raptor had 8 miles when I took my buddy to the dealership to pick it up. The tires look as well worn as can be expected. They would be marked for location and rotated when mounted on the Jeep as I am a firm believer in every 5-6k rotations.

·
Registered
810 Posts
MW- I have had two sets of Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on a previous truck. They both lasted apx 60k miles and took me anywhere I wanted to go.... great in snow and ice as well. So not concerned about the Nittos and longevity.
Nitto has been making great tires for decades. From my own experience, I wouldn't put the KO's in the same conversation with Toyo/Nitto. Some people have good luck with them though. I used to run Nitto's on my Camaro's/Vette/RX7's/Supras. They make the very best wet traction tire I found.

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
If they are the E version then they are not the original tires for a Raptor. The Raptor KO2 is definitely the C rated tire.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I got some brand new zero mile KO2 take offs for my JK last year. I have had them for almost a year now with zero complaints. They did just fine last year the few snow's we had and are better riding/quieter on the road then the stock goodyears that came with it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You would basically be getting 5 KOs for less than the price of 4 with your buddies deal. Both are great tires I'm sure, probably can't go wrong with either one.

The nittos are already about $10 more a tire than the KOs so you are looking at a pretty big price difference.

At that price I would jump on the KOs.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I love my 31570/17 KO2s. (Cs). Very quiet. However if you need any kind of mud performance, I’d probably look elsewhere. Almost got stuck last Saturday going wheeling with my son after a hard rain. Never again will I take these tires in bad mud, I was sliding everywhere. (Maybe just my bad driving ). Made me wish I had a more aggressive tire, but really I’m on the pavement most the time where they do shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
If they are KO's then they are the old style tire and that would not be that great of a deal. If they are the newer KO2's those are very good tires.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are the new KO2s and did confirm again that all 5 tires are clearly marked with an E load rating. Dealership states only tire they added was the spare on the Baja style carrier and they simply matched the tires that were on it.... not sure why E instead of C as many have stated. Thanks all for the great info!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a set of BFG AT's on my Ramcharger back in the 80's but I haven't experienced todays KO2s though a lot of people really like them. The basic tread design has been around forever and as in the past they are still today best suited for street, dry dirt and casual off road. I have also heard that they tend to clog with mud and wet snow.
My current day experience is with Duratracs and the new Ridge Grapplers. As much as I like the Duratracs the Ridge Grapplers are so much quieter but with equal ride and handling. When it comes time to replace the Duratracs on my one JK it will be with the Grapplers.
Just remember a deal isn't a deal if the items purchased doesn't really fit your overall needs so I would access whether you need a tire with a more traditional tread and a bit better road manners or a more aggressive tread with all around great performance.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have the Ridge Grapplers, about 15k miles on them. Just had them off road this weekend, mud cleared out great! No issues in snow. I will be buying again.

Ridge Grapplers will probably be my next tire. I have literally washed my Jeep 4 times since this pic last Saturday and mud is still in my KO2s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts