Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated.
I have run the KO2 on my JK's since spring 2018. Love them, outstanding road performance all year round in New England, including icy slushy roads, about 30k miles a year. Very little offroad, but when I have they were flawless. Should get 70k miles out of them, and 3PMSF rating is well deserved.
However, I really like the options a good MT give me. I never felt confident in the KO2 in mud, though I never had an issue in the little I did take it through, I mostly avoid it, plus muddy dirt back roads.
So thinking of something that is a good all around mud tire. Not that easy to find for obvious reasons. I am finding a lot of good reviews on the km3 and x3 for snow and treadwear, but would like some real world from here if possible on highway longevity, as I see close to 90% highway, plus some info on how they do off road. I am seeing, looking at pics, the general AT looks very much like the ko2, and the x3 is like a km with good siping. I put close to 60k on my km's but they were sketchy as hell in the slippery stuff, perhaps due to lugs and lack of siping.
So please, any real world with the above mentioned mud tires, just those unless you have input on a high mileage MT not above.
TIA

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
You are not going to see great mileage out of the KM3's as they use a soft rubber compound that will wear pretty fast, its not a sticky compound but one of the softest compounds out there for a DOT tire. You might look at the Maxxis RZR as they have a 40,000 mile warrantee on them.

·
Super Moderator
22,478 Posts
If you are going to get 70,000 miles out of your K02's and they have not let you down yet in the little offroading you do compared to highway miles why switch? No mud tire will do nearly as well on the highway wear wise and after 30,000 miles of highway they might not do as well in the mud either...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are going to get 70,000 miles out of your K02's and they have not let you down yet in the little offroading you do compared to highway miles why switch? No mud tire will do nearly as well on the highway wear wise and after 30,000 miles of highway they might not do as well in the mud either...
Strangely, it's that tread pattern. It does not inspire confidence in me for slippery off road. My goal is to do more off road again (my tj was my dd and I used to do about 8k a year with 75% being off road) and sometimes you find a muddy hole on a c6. Even worse on a c4 in Vt because they can be pretty boggy, most NH c6 have a granite bottom somewhere.
Likely I will remain with the ko2 because they are a really great all around tire, and for all they don't inspire confidence in mud, they are as good as tank treads every snow storm I have been caught in. And there have been a lot. I will just have to use the winch if they fail me in the mud lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,916 Posts
Our Jeep came with KO2's, and they were great. We went with bigger tires, and stuck with KO2's. Now we are running Nitto Ridge Grapplers (got a good deal on them, couldn't pass it up), and while they may be slightly better off road and in the mud it is clear that they aren't as good on road. There is a clear trade off there. especially on wet roads.
The reality for us is, while we wheel pretty hard, we don't do much serious mud. And while the KO2 does spin more in what mud we have done it has never failed to get us through. Everyone has their own needs in regards to mud, but for us we are more likely to turn around or go around because we don't want to go through mud that deep (it is hard on the equipment) than we are likely to get stuck because of the tires. But others look for mud, others seek it out. Us, we avoid it as much as possible. We hate the wear, tear, and damage it does.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've run KM2s, KO2s and KM3s. I would not recommend KMs for a DD. When they wear they are noisy, rumble and absolutely suck on slippery snow and ice. KO2s are excellent on-road and do good in most off-road conditions except for mud - they are terrible in the mud. I didn't go to KM3s (39s) on my 07 until it became pretty much a dedicated off-road rig. I run KO2s on my 12 JKUR which is my wife's DD. I found that 35in KM2s wore out fast and 37in KM2s lasted a long time (50+k miles).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for info. About 99% chance I will be going with ko2s again, was hoping for some magic mt info but the ko2 is everything I need and lasts forever.
I too hate the mud but in New England, it happens. The ancient roads tended to be along waterways.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
KM2 was loud as h*** and ran small to size.

KM3 is VERY expensive, VERY heavy, and apparently is still loud and runs small to size.

KO was small to size, and horrendous in mud (and snow in my region) because the interlocked tread packs up and can't clean itself at all. It's also got a ton of road friction which reduces mileage.

KO2 was better for sure, but I still had poor wear on the edges that I did not have with other tires, they throw gravel like a machine gun, and they're still not amazing in the sloppy stuff.

I've never understood the draw to BFG tires.

I have since moved on to the Milestar Patagonia M/T. It's quiet, smooth as glass on the road, works awesome offroad, wears fantastic even on heavy trucks, runs true to size, and you can't beat the price with a stick.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts

KM3 is VERY expensive, VERY heavy, and apparently is still loud and runs small to size.

Over the years I’ve run KOs on full size PUs, KM2 35s and KM3 37s on the Jeep. The draw is they are reliable tires. I was really impressed when I ran the KOs on Obsidian. If you’ve ever been on that stuff you know what I’m talking about. 35s are 34” and 37s are 36” rolling diameter. The KM3s are quieter than the KM2, but yes, still loud. The key is rotating them every 3000 miles. It’s not my DD so the noise is a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
878 Posts

KO was small to size, and horrendous in mud (and snow in my region) because the interlocked tread packs up and can't clean itself at all. It's also got a ton of road friction which reduces mileage.

KO2 was better for sure, but I still had poor wear on the edges that I did not have with other tires, they throw gravel like a machine gun, and they're still not amazing in the sloppy stuff.

I have since moved on to the Milestar Patagonia M/T. It's quiet, smooth as glass on the road, works awesome offroad, wears fantastic even on heavy trucks, runs true to size, and you can't beat the price with a stick.
I'll agree with you that any M/T that is worn gets very noisy and the KM3 is an expensive tire, but it is not loud when new. I do not agree with you on KO2 tire wear as I have not seen any abnormal wear in either 33 or 37 inch sizes on 4dr JK Wranglers that I own. I don't do much driving in gravel so I can't comment on throwing gravel. As far as the KM3 being VERY heavy you are incorrect on this - here are the facts for the larger 39-40in 17in rim by tire brand:

Goodyear MTR 86lbs
KM3 87lbs
Patagonia M/T 88lbs
Cooper Discoverer 90lbs
Pitbull Rocker 93lbs
Toyo Open Country 104lbs
Nitto 106.5lbs

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,836 Posts
Ive never seen the Nitto appeal in this market. Now for tuners, they make some amazing tires, but they are definitely a social bling thing in this market IMO. Overpriced, perform well, but not as well as their price indicates. KO2's IMO are the best bang for the buck that do a lot of stuff really well and very few things not so well. They are undersized in all sizes, but size is only important in the offroad group. No one else really gives a F*#&. Mud is often described as their downfall. Mud does not equal mud. Mud in Alabama is different than South Carolina is as different than Texas.

Watery mud
Wet mud
Sloppy mud
Gooey mud
Clay mud

Each one requires different types of driving techniques. KO2's I think are fine in the first two categories, but do a poorer and poorer job as mud gets thicker and more earthen. However, they do well in snow, rain and as a DD I dont think they can be beat for longevity. I got 50 or 51k out of mine as OEM 265/70/17's but moved to a 35 in the Kenda Klever. I wanted a narrow tire so went with the 35/10.517. The KO2's after about 44-45k got noisey, then loud. My only complaint about them was that. But it is a tradeoff for everything else they do well.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about the Cooper STT Pro as an option?
Talked to a few in my area that have run them and longevity along with wear are not high in their list of pros to them.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
What about the Cooper STT Pro as an option?
That was the last tire I ran. Pretty good tire, but very noisy on the road. One of the more noisy I've ever had actually. I ran them in 35x12.50 on a JT at about 30 PSI.

That's why I am going to stick with the Milestar from now on. There really isn't a single bad thing to say about that tire.

·
Registered
707 Posts
That was the last tire I ran. Pretty good tire, but very noisy on the road. One of the more noisy I've ever had actually. I ran them in 35x12.50 on a JT at about 30 PSI.
That's why I am going to stick with the Milestar from now on. There really isn't a single bad thing to say about that tire.
Thanks for the feedback. I can think of a bad thing. The Milestars are made in Taiwan, which I do not like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts