Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at these for my 2012 Wrangler. It is my daily driver and most of my 4-wheeling is in snow, sand, or fire trails (I don't do rocks). What do y'all think?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I've never seen those before. Are they siped? Can't tell in the picture.

EDIT: Actually, just blew the pic up...looks like they're not. Which seems odd. Are they snow rated?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was looking at these for my 2012 Wrangler. It is my daily driver and most of my 4-wheeling is in snow, sand, or fire trails (I don't do rocks). What do y'all think?

From what I just read off BFG's site, they have a mixed review, but are fairly decent road tires. They may be decent for clean dirt roads and fire breaks, but they might not do so well if the trail gets rough. Just what I get from their site. Not experience.

Rugged Trail T/A | BFGoodrich Tires

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I saw those too. They seem like a good Slightly less aggressive A/T. Tire rack labels them as highway all season.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've had 2 sets of the E-rated Rugged Trails on my 2003 Ram 2500 4x4, 265/70/17. The good news is they wear for 70,000 or more in the AZ heat. They just don't die. I replaced my last set pre-emptively at 70k.. they were so old. The bad news is they stink off road, and REALLY stink on snow.

The C or D rated version gets bad reviews.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I think if it were me, Id look into the GY Duratracs or the BFG ATs. The ATs wear like iron and are good balance of on road and offroad. I havent personally had the Duratracs, but I have heard a lot of good about them for an all terrain style tire.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
They came stock on my 08 Frontier. Agree with above, wear well but suck off road and in the snow

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
After reading those articles those look like what I'll get instead of the BFG AT. They're not near as heavy and seem more suited to the DD rig.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I wrote the Four Wheeler story and I am a huge fan of A-Ts, but for a daily driver I was incredibly impressed with Rugged Terrain. It has a nice look, solid ride and still has reinforced sidewall that should make it fine for light trail use. In addition to the Nissan in the story, I drove them back to back against the A-Ts on a Super Duty and could tell a difference.

--Sean

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

They look nice for a street tire. But if you're ever gonna leave the pavement, I suggest Goodyear Duratracs, they are smooth and quiet on road, Aggressive looking, great off-road, in the rain/snow and ice.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Also a 2-ply tire.

--Sean

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
How are these BFGs in snow/ice. I know the DT has a great review here, but I've never had a goodyear tire I've liked.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
got to tirerack and check the reviews for that tire, from what I read, it looks like a decent tire, for a street tire, only a few vibe and balance problems.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
TJNewbie said:
Have you tried the Duratracs?
Not yet. I was going to, but am very Cautious about spending money on GY tires. I've tried many of their sports car tires and hated every one. Always been impressed with BFG and Bridgestone.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
TJNewbie said:
got to tirerack and check the reviews for that tire, from what I read, it looks like a decent tire, for a street tire, only a few vibe and balance problems.
I've read a few. Another tire I was looking at outside of the DT was the Bridgestone AT Revo.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've read a few. Another tire I was looking at outside of the DT was the Bridgestone AT Revo.
Great tire with a weak sidewall, I have had more sidewall punctures on the trail with this tire than any other in testing.

--Sean

1 - 20 of 27 Posts