Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have read every tire thread on this and 2 other forums on these 2 brands of tires. What to get.
I live in Michigan and here there are 2 major tire retailers Belle Tire and Discount Tire they are both eager to cut each other throats any day of the week. If there is a Discount tire store on a street you can see across the street a Belle Tire store. If you ask them about the 2 tire brands you get two very different answers, How can that be unless they are getting something from the tire manufacturer to push there brand.
On my 2500 Chevy trucks BFG AT have always been the best tire I have ever had BUT I think the weight of the truck has a lot to do with it, But my jeep doesn't have the weight. Again now what.
For size I'm down to one of these 315/70/17 or 305/65/17 just can't figure out which brand to go with. It's that $1300.00 decision because once it done it's done.
So one more time all you seasoned Jeep owner tell me which one's PLEASE. If any of you have had both that would be a plus. :nonono:

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I have an '04 Jeep Wrangler sport. I ran 3 sets of BFGs on it just pulled the 3rd set off last week. Still on factory rims about 2 years old and only about 30K miles. I generally get close to 50K out of them. I plan to use them for a "summer tire" till the tread is gone unless I can sell all 5 with wheels.

After seeing some Duratracs on other Jeeps, and hearing the experience of a lot of fellow Jeepers I respect, on this and a couple other sites, I decided to "try them".

I went with 33" x 12.50" on cragar soft 8's with a 15" x 8" wheel. The ride is better. They don't slip on rainy pavement like my BFG's did. We are wheeling today and have rain forecast I can post results of the mudding tonight. I love how they look on the Jeep. They are 2" bigger both ways than my BFGs were. How much that plays into the traction slipping thing IDK. I do know how the BFGs were off road and will have a good chance to compare today. I did have the snow clogging issue common to BFGs in the winter. If you don't keep the wheel speed up to clean them out they will clog up with snow.

Also the Duratracs on steel rims and being a heavier tire changed my speedo by 10% which is an easy calculation, but I also lost a couple mpgs around town...1.5" BL was added same time as the Duratracs...already had OME 2-3" lift.

My gut opinion...DURATRACS ARE BETTER!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Duratracs. Best tire I've had in snow, rain, mud (MT's better in mud, but suck in snow). Long tread life, relatively light weight. Only drawback is the weaker sidewall, but I'm running E-rated tires so that's not a concern for me.

Tip 1: Don't buy the E-rated tires unless you know what you're getting into; the ride is a little harsh.

Tip 2: Always drink upstream from the herd.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Duratrac's are better overall tire as far as traction and usually better in weight except in certain sizes. Also better road ride and better feel. Softer rubber.

BFG is better in longevity hands down due to it's harder rubber.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
kbwwolf said:
Duratracs. Best tire I've had in snow, rain, mud (MT's better in mud, but suck in snow). Long tread life, relatively light weight. Only drawback is the weaker sidewall, but I'm running E-rated tires so that's not a concern for me.

Tip 1: Don't buy the E-rated tires unless you know what you're getting into; the ride is a little harsh.

Tip 2: Always drink upstream from the herd.
I only find duratrac 33's with a 108q rating, there's no problem with these for a daily driver/ weekend warrior is there ?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm running BFG KM's on my 12 JK, with 5500 miles, and have had no issues. Great tire as far as I'm concerned. That being said, I'm looking at going with a bigger tire, possibly305/70-17 BFG KM2's or 295/70-17 Toyo Open Country.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Orange Peel said:
I'm running BFG KM's on my 12 JK, with 5500 miles, and have had no issues. Great tire as far as I'm concerned. That being said, I'm looking at going with a bigger tire, possibly305/70-17 BFG KM2's or 295/70-17 Toyo Open Country.
I never thought I would say this but, that bright orange jeep looks good :) I never would have tried it, I guess my imagination isn't the best but I'd say you got a winner there.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I only find duratrac 33's with a 108q rating, there's no problem with these for a daily driver/ weekend warrior is there ?
You should be fine. The only issues I've heard of have been on big rocks, and even then I haven't heard a lot of negatives.

They're awesome tires, far as I'm concerned. Pouring rain here this a.m., with lots of water on the roads, and I tried to find a place to make em hydroplane. No luck. I'm sure they'll do it at some point, but every surface I've been on – snow, mud, snow-mud mix, wet pavement, dry pavement, dry dirt roads covered in leaves – they just flat-out stick. And they're damn near silent.

Can't go wrong, IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
UPDATE.....The Duratracs got tested pretty hard today...and they swallowed up everything, cleaned out easily, and allowed me to drive in 2wd for a lot, but not all of the day.

I got stuck in a "dip" that was probably 30'-40' long the width of a Jeep, (by design) and deeper than my TJ is tall. It had a lot of loose dirt/ mud in the bottom of it. Several people got stuck there. IMO if I had tummy tuck and full use of 4lo probably could have got out. It wasn't "soupy" mud but it was no more than 20' from the river and it was wet mud. Only person I saw get through was a lifted JK on 37"s....I know a lot of people got pulled out.

Bottom line for the money ALL AROUND USE, Duratracs. On road only-driver's choice..actually think the BFG's might be more cost effective in that situation. Mileage and longevity but if snow is an issue, and slipping in the rain is an issue probably back to the Duratracs.

Yeah I was the same way trying to make up my mind it is almost one of those "what are you gonna do with your Jeep" questions.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
kbwwolf said:
You should be fine. The only issues I've heard of have been on big rocks, and even then I haven't heard a lot of negatives.

They're awesome tires, far as I'm concerned. Pouring rain here this a.m., with lots of water on the roads, and I tried to find a place to make em hydroplane. No luck. I'm sure they'll do it at some point, but every surface I've been on – snow, mud, snow-mud mix, wet pavement, dry pavement, dry dirt roads covered in leaves – they just flat-out stick. And they're damn near silent.

Can't go wrong, IMO.
I live in central Florida, there's not big rocks for a hundred miles. My jk is only 2wd and I got stuck in mud that I shouldn't have been stuck in two weeks ago ( bald tires ). Only the second time in my life I've Been stuck. Don't want a third.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have run both. Duratracs hands down. They are a superior design for what we do with our vehciles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was having the same decision as you BFG or duratracs I went with the duratracs and my brother bought the BFG and i live in north Dakota no rocks really here..... But off road performance hands down eats the BFG for an all terrain at least they handle really well in the snow and packed snow/ice..... On road as everyone said their a lot smoother and handle better you might not get the same miles out of the total tire due to the fact of softer rubber.... But I would get the duras again hands down.... Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Duratracs hands down. The BFG was horrible in snow for me. The interlocked tread fills up with snow and then the tire "pushes" going into turns. They wouldn't bite or hook up at all. I hated them. Don't even get me started on their pricing, mud performance, fuel economy, or wear patterns. They are finnicky tires that were clearly designed for the desert or dirt environments. Technology has come a LONG way since the BFG all terrain was brought to market when we were children.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I went with BFG's and I love them. I have had other goodforayear tires in the past and they all wore out too quickly.

BFG's will outlast GY's, that's their big advantage. And for $200+ per tire, that's important in my opinion.

Yes the GY's will be smoother on the road but you pay for that with a shorter lifespan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts