Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect that Big Brother had a hand in designing the new JK. Just bought a new Sahara two door with the Uconnect 730 nav and media system. Testing the radio, I pressed the radio/media button once for a screen with buttons for AM, FM, and SAT (satellite), pressed it again for a screen entitled DISC (to play CDs and DVDs), pressed it again for a screen entitled HDD (hard drive for storing CDs and DVDs) and pressed it once more to return to radio. There I selected FM, tuned in to my favorite station, and played with the buttons and listened for a while. When I was done, I went to turn it off and much to my consternation, I couldn't find the off button! I tried every button and switch, both actual and virtual, but found nothing. I searched the owner's manual but again found nothing. Finally I called the dealer and the service manager confirmed the worst--there was no radio off button and no way to turn off the radio. The best I could do was press the radio/nav button to toggle through the other media options, or turn off the entire Uconnect system, in which case I would lose the nav feature. Then it struck me. Big Brother is saying: Let him enjoy any kind of entertainment he chooses; just don't leave him alone with his own thoughts. That could be problematic.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Dear Leader wants you to listen to his propaganda whether you like it or not ;)

·
Premium Member
2,964 Posts
Holy crap, it's right in your 730n manual on page 12!

"(4) ON/OFF VOLUME

Press the (4) ON/OFF
VOLUME rotary knob to switch the radio ON/OFF.

It is possible to set the unit in standby mode during driving
by pressing the ON/OFF VOLUME rotary knob (4)".

Hell, it's even called the "ON/OFF VOLUME" knob!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Another good place to start is to go to the Chrysler web site and download a complete owner's manual. That should help with other questions that will come up that aren't answered in the quick guide.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Did you try pushing the volume knob in? I can see how it could be confusing since it says "push - on" right under it. Trust me, if you push it while it's already on it will turn it off. Big Brother conspiracy averted, crisis solved, dealer relegated to the idiot category yet again.
....and owner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone for your geat comments. Sorry to take so long to reply, but I mistakenly assumed that I would get email notifications of activity on this thread. For those who thought the obvious solution was the round on/off button on the left, you missed the sentence in my post that said as follows: "The best I could do was press the radio/nav button to toggle through the other media options, or turn off the entire Uconnect system, in which case I would lose the nav feature." The on/off button that you refer to turns on/off the entire Uconnect system, which means the screen goes black and you lose the benefit of the navigation system, weather, sports, and all the other bells and whistles that go with the Uconnect system. So my point remains--there is no on/off button for the radio.

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
Just turn the radio to disc mode. As long as there's no disc in it there will not be anything playing and thus you can have the nav on with no other background sounds.

BTW, this radio/nav thing is not just specific to the design of the new JK. My '07 Sebring works the same way.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
BTW, this radio/nav thing is not just specific to the design of the new JK. My '07 Sebring works the same way.
Just more evidence that it's a global conspiracy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, RoadiJeff, that's what I'll do. I haven't bought a new car for a while and am finding things have changed. Another quirk on the JK is that there is no light on the dashboard that tells you the headlights are on, only for high beams and fog lights. You do get the general background illumation of the dials, but you don't see that unless its after dark. Just an oddity that says something about changing times and driving habits--people tend to leave their headlights on a lot these days. Also the headlights go on while you start the engine. I can recall the days when you made sure your headlights were off when you engaged the starter, just to avoid putting undue strain on the battery. So for those who nominated my post for the "hall of fame" I would concede induction into a "nitpicker's hall of fame" but don't get me wrong--I take the time to point out the quirks because I think the JK is a unique and beguiling machine.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I've never owned a vehicle that had a low beam indicator, and I've owned something from every decade in the past half century except the 70s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm, didn't mean to start a thread on this, but at the risk of sealing my eligibiltiy for the nitpickers hall of fame, let me clarify. I'm talking about a light on the dash that tells you that your exterior lights are on. In other words, it comes on when you first turn on your exterior light switch, and stays on whether you only turn on your parking and tail lights, or also turn on your headlights. That's the light I have been accustomed to seeing on various cars over the past fifty years (although all of them I could not swear). Even my 2008 Acura MDX has it, but my 2015 JK does not. For what it's worth, that's all I was trying to say.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My 2013 Ram 1500 has a low beam indicator, high beam indicator and fog light indicator in the gauge cluster. Just FYI. There is even an indicator for the cargo light.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts