Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the JL off-road yesterday for the first time. Upon getting on the trail I aired down for obvious reasons.

When I got home I found my Jeep had sent a stern Vehicle Alert to my Gmail account! --see below. The report lists the pressure on each tire, the exact mileage of the Jeep at that moment and oil life remaining. Thankfully it didn't report where I was or with whom! ;)

Hmmm...not sure what to think about this: be uncomfortable with this level of intrusion, or resigned to the sign of things to come...

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
The good news is ..... it Stops once the FREE period is over and you opt to Not pay some ridiculous monthly fee to keep up the nanny-grams.

* I did use the cool functions like twice in a year. Flash the lights from half a mile away to find the Jeep at a PSU game, Lock the doors from inside restaurants when I wasn't quite sure if I did or not.

FYI FCA: I probably would have kept the subscription going for a $$ that was commensurate with perceived value, perhaps consider a multi-tier membership.
or not
At the asking price - Not worth it.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. This is the 2nd similar alert I have received in one month. Not liking it. Even for free.

Interestingly, the LSD clutches were smelling when I hit deep snow.* Yet I don't see that anywhere on this report. :)

It seems FCA is happy to have these reports point the finger at things that are the owner's responsibility, but omits issues that will cost FCA money to fix under warranty.

*Selec-Trac performed flawless getting to the trail, and Jeep's 4WD system did its job on the trail as expected. But I was disappointed with the LSD; it started smelling as soon as conditions got a bit challenging. This is the first time I use a clutch-actuated LSD; my prior Saharas had aftermarket TrueTrac, which uses helical gears instead of cluthes, and therefore is much tougher and durable. I would say the stock LSD is JL's weak link in an otherwise excellent off-road vehicle. Can't wait for someone to develop an aftermarket alternative.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
All I can say is 20psi isn't really airing down, especially if it was for snow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I agree 20psi is not really doing much other than softening the ride on a forest service road.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Yeah. This is the 2nd similar alert I have received in one month. Not liking it. Even for free.

Interestingly, the LSD clutches were smelling when I hit deep snow.* Yet I don't see that anywhere on this report. :)

It seems FCA is happy to have these reports point the finger at things that are the owner's responsibility, but omits issues that will cost FCA money to fix under warranty.

*Selec-Trac performed flawless getting to the trail, and Jeep's 4WD system did its job on the trail as expected. But I was disappointed with the LSD; it started smelling as soon as conditions got a bit challenging. This is the first time I use a clutch-actuated LSD; my prior Saharas had aftermarket TrueTrac, which uses helical gears instead of cluthes, and therefore is much tougher and durable. I would say the stock LSD is JL's weak link in an otherwise excellent off-road vehicle. Can't wait for someone to develop an aftermarket alternative.
that is really odd I wonder if it was not your brakes you were smelling? Or just the newness of the vehicle. Reason I say that is I have put a lot of miles on in the snow and offroad with LSD on my 2013 sport and it never caused a smell and my buddy has LSD in his 2014 and we have done a lot of snow wheeling together as well as have been to Moab several times together and his has never smelled, his did however break his spider gears but I think he was at like 60,000 miles when that happened. Watching his I was always impressed how quick he would hook up.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Retired Moderator
100,552 Posts
The electronic world is taken over. Just watch some of the Artificial Intelligence, Robotic shows on television. The PHD's say there is a chance that they may take over the world, and tell us what to do. This is no joke, Elon Musk is one of them saying this..

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
The electronic world is taken over. Just watch some of the Artificial Intelligence, Robotic shows on television. The PHD's say there is a chance that they may take over the world, and tell us what to do. This is no joke, Elon Musk is one of them saying this..
You need some Old Glory insurance

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
The good news is ..... it Stops once the FREE period is over and you opt to Not pay some ridiculous monthly fee to keep up the nanny-grams.

* I did use the cool functions like twice in a year. Flash the lights from half a mile away to find the Jeep at a PSU game, Lock the doors from inside restaurants when I wasn't quite sure if I did or not.

FYI FCA: I probably would have kept the subscription going for a $$ that was commensurate with perceived value, perhaps consider a multi-tier membership.
or not
At the asking price - Not worth it.
The nanny-grams stop to YOUR e-mail, but I'll bet a nickle the BCC's continue being sent to FCA about every aspect of your vehicle, whether or not you pay for the service. Sure loven my JK's right about now.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is really odd I wonder if it was not your brakes you were smelling? Or just the newness of the vehicle. Reason I say that is I have put a lot of miles on in the snow and offroad with LSD on my 2013 sport and it never caused a smell and my buddy has LSD in his 2014 and we have done a lot of snow wheeling together as well as have been to Moab several times together and his has never smelled, his did however break his spider gears but I think he was at like 60,000 miles when that happened. Watching his I was always impressed how quick he would hook up.
It was definitely the stench of burning clutch. Never had this happen with TrueTracs.

Like you said, I am hoping it is because the Jeep is new...!

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
The nanny-grams stop to YOUR e-mail, but I'll bet a nickle the BCC's continue being sent to FCA about every aspect of your vehicle, whether or not you pay for the service. Sure loven my JK's right about now.
Oh, I agree. I love Both my JK and my JL But I do Not delude myself into thinking (really) either vehicle tracks all aspects of telemetry.
The JL was just more noticeable for a year.
They can "look see" at anything we do to (or undo) with our Jeeps.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All I can say is 20psi isn't really airing down, especially if it was for snow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I aired down to 20 for the forest road part; then aired down to 15 when the trail got trickier and the snow appeared.

Thankfully I didn’t get two emails! LOL!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm...now you got me thinking if the stench was really the LSD clutches as I assumed, or the BDL brakes...

It was getting icy, slippery, narrow and steep; I should have engaged 4-Lo to deactivate the ESC and the BDL!

I’m going to have to try it again...

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I think you'll find that is the case.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I took the JL off-road yesterday for the first time. Upon getting on the trail I aired down for obvious reasons.

When I got home I found my Jeep had sent a stern Vehicle Alert to my Gmail account! --see below. The report lists the pressure on each tire, the exact mileage of the Jeep at that moment and oil life remaining. Thankfully it didn't report where I was or with whom! ;)

Hmmm...not sure what to think about this: be uncomfortable with this level of intrusion, or resigned to the sign of things to come...

I had the exact same reaction when I was getting email alerts after I changed tires an the new pressure sensors had not caught up yet, was not at all happy with that tracking and would like to turn it off.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Hmmm...now you got me thinking if the stench was really the LSD clutches as I assumed, or the BDL brakes...

It was getting icy, slippery, narrow and steep; I should have engaged 4-Lo to deactivate the ESC and the BDL!

I’m going to have to try it again...
Since you have Selec-Trac, it could also potentially be the clutches in your transfer case.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The LSD clutches are enclosed in the diff case and bathed in oil treated with friction modifier.. Can't see how the clutches would give off a smell. If it did, it would have to seep out the vent tube.

I have a JK. When it was still relatively new (under 100 miles), I took it through some deep snow with all the nanny traction stuff turned on. Although I never touched the brakes, I could smell the strong odor of hot brake lining. It was caused by the brake lock differential which applies the brakes to the wheels that spin (those with the least traction). Since the JL also has BLD, this could have been what you were smelling...

As the pads have worn down, my BLD action no longer creates this burning smell.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts