Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
If you go over a 275 or 11" wide tire you will rub and need spacers or new wheels

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
what about like a 265/75?
That's not even a 32" tire. Why bother?

If you are looking for a more aggressive 32" tire, the best thing to do would be to watch Craigslist for a set of Rubicon take off wheels/tires. They're metrically sized, but work out to about 32x10R17.

The bottom line is that there's not much you can do with the stock wheels in any of the sizes (16" Sport, 17" Rubicon/Sport upgrade, or 18" Sahara) because of the high backspacing. You need to add wheel spacers to really open up the possibility of bigger sizes. But even then, once you go above 33" (just 1" more than the stock Rubi tires) you really need to start looking for a lift or new/cut fender flares.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

:nonono:

size isn't everything. the stockers that come on the 16 inch steelies would be terrible off road.

some nice 265/75 bfg's would be a huge upgrade.

anyway...

little digging on google and found a 2010 with the same wheels and 265's

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
wondering if i should do a full wheel/tire upgrade, or if just throwing some bigger tires on the steel 16's will look ok
size isn't everything.
You're right that size isn't everything, but it is what you ASKED ABOUT. :whistling:

No doubt you could get better tires in the stock size or close to it. But I gathered from your original post that you wanted a significant upsize in tires, and for that you'll need wheel spacers and eventually a lift or fender chop.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
ok, then what's the biggest you can go on the stock 16's with no lift?
If you go offroad, then 32s are really it. Rubi take offs or the BFGs you linked would be good choices.

33s are okay, but unless you can find them at 11" or under in width, you'll need spacers which will push them out from under the flares which in turn means they'll rub your flares with any significant flex.

For that, you can either lift or go with flat flares (either cut or purchased). I think you can go up to 35" with flat flares and no lift. But unless you add wheel spacers, they'll need to be under 11" wide or they'll rub on turns.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
32x16 with what sidewall height?

sorry, n00b
In a mathematically perfect world, those side walls would be 8".

I would guess--no direct experience here, mind you, just a guess based on what I've read--that 275/75R16 could be squeezed on there. Those would be a touch over 32" by just under 11" with a 16" wheel and 8" sidewalls. Not sure how much availability there is in that size though--I found nothing on Discount Tire Direct's website.

Use this calculator to play around with sizes.

·
Registered
50 Posts

size isn't everything. the stockers that come on the 16 inch steelies would be terrible off road.

some nice 265/75 bfg's would be a huge upgrade.

anyway...

little digging on google and found a 2010 with the same wheels and 265's

These tires really improve the look of the 16 inch rims. I could almost live with my stock rims if they looked this good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i run 265/75r16 bfg km2s on my stock 16s and i love them, they have done everything i have thrown at them. if your short on funds then i would either go with just tires or find some rubi take offs. cheers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i run 265/75r16 bfg km2s on my stock 16s and i love them, they have done everything i have thrown at them. if your short on funds then i would either go with just tires or find some rubi take offs. cheers.
I'm checking craiglist daily for some rubi take offs. I can't decide if the reason I don't like the stock tires has to do with the size or the silver rims contrasting with the Sahara Tan color scheme. I think I'm going to bedline the rims to black to see how that improves the look.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I seen a black JK here with 31's on the 16" stocks and I now have to say, not liking it. Seeing them in person was enough for me to purge my mind of that possibility. I know where they live in case you want to see.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Just for giggles for everyone here on the boards who have watched me go through a FEW tires over this past year...

245/75/16 :banghead:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just for giggles for everyone here on the boards who have watched me go through a FEW tires over this past year...

245/75/16 :banghead:
I like the way the tires fill the wheel well now. Very nice. But I still can't get past the silver rims on the Sahara Tan with all the black accents. I must take my rims black before I will be satisfied I'm afraid.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts