Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone tried to install a bigger / external GPS antenna on JKU / MyGig? Trying to get better reception on cloudy / offroading days.

\G

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Clouds don't affect the GPS signal. Physical obstructions such as trees, canyons, bridges, etc. do block the line of sight signals from the satellite constellation. Three sats have to be acquired and read for a good locate and the more sats read, the better.

Assuming that your antenna is working properly and not blocked, a 'bigger' antenna won't do anything. Moving to an external antenna might help. What kind of problems are you having?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
GPS [for civilians] uses only two frequencies - L1 [1575.42 MHz] and L2 [1227.60 MHz] and your receiver reads them both to locate your position.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting an occasional "Acquuiring signal" message on my radio.

Will external help locking on a signal when in woods (like the one on police ir marine vehicles). Or clear sky is a must?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Getting an occasional "Acquuiring signal" message on my radio.

Will external help locking on a signal when in woods (like the one on police ir marine vehicles). Or clear sky is a must?
"Acquiring Signal" Are you referring to the navigation or Sirius radio? I get the occasional "Acquiring Signal" when I'm downtown between tall buildings, but it's for my Sirius signal.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
'Acquiring signal' should be for the Sirius/XM radio. Clear sky [no obstructions] for GPS is best, but a normal forest should be fine. If you are in triple canopy jungles, in Manhattan, or a really overgrown dense forest, your signal will be reduced. This also applies to external antennas in the same locales.

GPS signals are line of sight and if something gets in the way, the signal is reduced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts