Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a bigger throttle body on my 2012 jeep jk. Anyone know what web site I can get one from?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Have you modified your engine to require more airflow than the stock throttle body can supply?

If not, then a larger throttle body will only make the throttle more sensitive and add "dead travel" to the end of travel of the pedal. You will not get any additional full throttle power. You can get the same effect from a Sprintbooster, or from using the "throttle booster" feature of a Diablosport tuner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you modified your engine to require more airflow than the stock throttle body can supply? If not, then a larger throttle body will only make the throttle more sensitive and add "dead travel" to the end of travel of the pedal. You will not get any additional full throttle power. You can get the same effect from a Sprintbooster, or from using the "throttle booster" feature of a Diablosport tuner.
I just have a afe stage 2 intake

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If the engine doesn't need more air, the engine won't take in more air.

My factory throttle body doesn't open completely when I stomp on it anyway; that tells me the computer either won't allow for the added airflow or the throttle body already outflows the engine's peak demand.

Edit: Mine's a '12 also.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Unless you have actual evidence that your throttle body is too restrictive (very unlikely with a bolt-on air intake), I think it is a waste of time/money to put a bigger throttle body on. You are guaranteed to get more sensitive throttle, which will "feel" like you have more power (so if you do it, you'll feel justified), but you'll also have less smooth control over throttle because of the added sensitivity, and you won't actually have any additional full throttle power.

If you insist on spending money on minor performance upgrades, I think a Diablosport InTune would be a better use of your money. You'll have the option of using "throttle boost" to get more sensitive throttle like a bigger throttle body would give you, plus it comes with several different engine tunes (fuel saver, performance tunes for various octane fuels) that have a measurable impact on throttle response and mid-range torque. It also the ability to customize several attributes of the vehicle, including adjusting for tire size and different axle gear ratios.

Also consider other similar tuners, like the Superchips and Bullydog.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Best case scenario: No effective change at all.

Worst case scenario: You pull in more air than the injectors can match, you run lean, and burn your plugs/rings.

It's unlikely the 2nd scenario could happen without forced induction, but why bother for no gain?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts