Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What will I need to do to put bigger tires on my rubicon? I only want to go with either 33's or 35's at the most. Also, I don't want to throw away good parts that I paid extra for with the rubicon package. I want to use my stock rims too (I like them and I wouldn't have to purchase more)!
Spacers?
2.5" lift?

I am new to this and really just want a littler larger tire and maybe a little higher stance.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Nice Rubi...looks a bit like mine. First, search for "largest tire on stock JK" and read that thread. Lots of good information.

The 2.5 inch lift will help you out...I lifted my '12 JKUR specifically to enhance the break over angle and give some extra space under the important bits.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Subbed...

I JUST got my new rubi too and love the wheels and have no desire to replace them.. but like you I think I want a bit bigger/fatter tires. The stockers are 32 inches so I doubt you would notice much height wise (just talking looks here) with 33s. What you will notice however is the increased width.. and that is the rub so to speak.

The standard answer is to do a 2 inch lift, and new wheels with the correct back spacing. The not so standard answer is to do a 2 inch lift, wth 1.5 spacers and stock wheels. There are other opinions in the thread mentioned above.

I have not read the above mentioned thread but intend to (I have read a lot of other threads and talked to a couple 4x4 shops). There may be other answers too.. .like "you can get away with X but they will rub if you go off roading".. that type of thing.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice Rubi...looks a bit like mine. First, search for "largest tire on stock JK" and read that thread. Lots of good information.

The 2.5 inch lift will help you out...I lifted my '12 JKUR specifically to enhance the break over angle and give some extra space under the important bits.
So…when installing a 2.5" lift, will I need to purchase new shocks? Will 33X11's look too small with a 2.5" lift? Rubicon express lift? AEV lift? Any recommendations? Will I need wheel spacers? I am dumb to all of this!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subbed...

The standard answer is to do a 2 inch lift, and new wheels with the correct back spacing. The not so standard answer is to do a 2 inch lift, wth 1.5 spacers and stock wheels. There are other opinions in the thread mentioned above.
So would I need to purchase four 1.5" wheel spacers? Would that be the same if I went with 35x12.5's?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes you would need 4 of them..regardless of 33s or 35s.. my understanding is that it is the width that will get you. The lift will help with the height of the tire, the spacing helps with the width of it. Most 33s and 35s seem to be in the 12 inch wide range (though you can get narrower ones). I am not an expert though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts