Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a friend selling 315 75, 16 Mickey Thompson tires. I have a 2.5" lift on my rubicon with stock 16" wheels. Can I put these bad boys on it?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
That's too wide of a tire for the factory wheels. The problem is the factory wheels have a lot of backspacing which means the wheels are positioned too far into the wheel well for that wide of a tire. in other words, the inside sidewalls of those tires, which are essentially 35x12.50, would rub severely on the suspension.

The only way around that would be to install either 1" spacers under the wheels or install aftermarket wheels with less backspacing.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
You could run a 33x10.50 on your wheels but your 2.5" suspension lift won't give quite enough clearance height-wise for off road use. I'd add a 1" to no taller than a 1.25" body lift to provide the extra clearance those 33's will need.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
My 285/75r16 rub my control arms slightly at full lock on 2000 Sahara wheels. I mean barley and at FULL lock but they are 32" tires and I have a 3 inch lift. It's minimum. I didn't notice it for a long time until parking lot antics. Stock wheel backspace defiantly sucks. I like the narrow track staying out of ruts. I'll deal with sharp turns. No benefit cost wise to me to even use spacers. I encounter lots of mud ruts from larger trucks though. A narrow track helps there.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Tire sizes vary considerably but theoretical diameter of a 285-75/16 is 32.8" which is slightly taller than most 33" diameter flotation tires. The width will be about the equivalent of an 11.00 (half way between a 10.50 & 11.50). If I had 16" wheels, this is what I would be running on 00. As stated, might have to put a washer or two behind the steering stops but this is a nice size tire for a TJ IMO.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You may need just a tad more lift for the 33s. I have a nominal 2" spring spacer lift and 1.25" BL on mine and running 33x10.5-15 BFG ATs on stock 7" wheels. Feel pretty confident I would have rub issues if I didn't have the BL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts