Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting my first lift (Rough Country 2.5) on my 92 YJ, I am looking at replacing my old 30's 15r to 33's 12.5r. Will I be going to large? Should I go with 32s on a 15r, maybe increase the width to 12.5? Any input is and will be welcomed.

Hwyranger

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome aboard Ranger!

With your 2.5" lift, 33" tires will require some trimming and adjusting of bumpstops to keep out of your sheetmetal. You "could" do it, but at cost of travel and extra work. Generally, 31" and small 32" tires will fit with the right backspacing on wheels. With stock backspacing, 31" tires are about the max generally speaking.

What engine are you running? Bigger tires really strap the 2.5L for power without a gearing upgrade. The I6 engines are better and manageable, at least up to 31" in size.

You "could" go up to a 33" tire, you'll just need to add a body lift and some trimming of the flares in some spots. But at this point, you'll need to consider gearing upgrades and possible strength upgrades as well. A lot of which will depend on what you want your Jeep to do or be able to do...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you PC,

And some sound advice and guidance. I have already picked out side flares and was looking on a body lift to help compensate the increase in size of tire. My YJ has the I6 4.0L engine.

Thank you again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts