Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992, Jeep Wrangler YJ, Manual 4.0L - Work in Progress!
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm dropping minimal cash on sound at this point as the priorities are frame repair, suspension, etc. You know the stuff that keeps it running. Well I still want some tunes so I picked up a cheap deck to replace the dead alpine, and now I need some speakers for the soundbar.

Any chance 6.5's will fit? I feel like 5.25 shouldn't be a problem, but if someone was able to make a 6.5 work that might be an option. I can't find depth requirements anywhere, and it seems like people reference other bars outside of OEM, but for now, I can throw in a pair of $15 5.25 or 6.5 and at least get some sports radio, whatever.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have two 4x6 replacing the 4". Did a little cutting but it came out clean. Still didn't give me enough bass so I ended up putting 6x9's in two enclosures by the roll bar.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Improve the soundbar sound

One of the best things you can do to improve the stock soundbar is to stuff it as full of cotton batting as possible before installing your speakers. This was especially true when I did my 6x9 conversion as I had to make an additional faceplate to allow for the 3/8" the new speaker sat above the surface after enlarging the hole with my grinder.

·
Registered
133 Posts
One of the best things you can do to improve the stock soundbar is to stuff it as full of cotton batting as possible before installing your speakers.
Interesting. What does the cotton do? And that's really two questions. 1. What is the difference in the sound? And 2. How does it work?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interesting. What does the cotton do? And that's really two questions. 1. What is the difference in the sound? And 2. How does it work?
Basically it is similar to "fiberglass sound" insulation in your home. It has acoustic value that improves bass response. I bought a set of two "Speaker Boxes" from Best Buy and they came with this white cotton batting materials already in them. Same theory.

The 6x9 speakers offer a greater range of tonal response. But with my noisy Jeep (usually topless and doorless) I needed to have the increase in volume to hear the stereo over the groans, whines, creaks and squeaks my YJ regularly produces!

·
Registered
1992, Jeep Wrangler YJ, Manual 4.0L - Work in Progress!
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it's called PolyFill. Same stuff you can buy for pillows :)

It helps give speakers increased volume behind them. You can use them in smaller sealed boxes especially so it gives the tonal quality of a larger box.

I'm not trying to build new boxes, or put in 6x9's at this point. I'm just trying to figure out realistically if anyone was able to fit 6.5 into the OEM YJ sound bar. I expect 5.25 to be relatively easily, but 6.5 also brings increased depth.

I'll move the current 4" Blaunpunkts into the Dash when I take that apart in the spring. Easy 4x6 plate to accomodate the 4" round (round typically sound better), and the PO bought some decent 4" for the sound bar, so why not use them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts