Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Biggest tire that will fit? Or biggest tire that will also retain reliablity and won't over stress OEM parts?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
The simple answer you were seeking is a 33" tire, but if you add a 1" body lift you'll then have enough room for 35" tires. There are obviously various ways to get around that 33" tire size limitation by cutting, hacking, extra tall bump stops, etc. but for a standard 4" lift and standard fenders, 33" is it for a 4" suspension lift with 35" very realistic after installing a 1" body lift.

This whole subject can open a can of worms since this is, afterall, the Internet but at least you have one straight answer to start with. Not to mention axle ratios, axle types, steering, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You don't even HAVE to add the 1" body lift.
A different flare will leave room for up travel.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
You don't even HAVE to add the 1" body lift.
A different flare will leave room for up travel.
A different flare won't prevent a bigger tire like a 35" from running into the sharp parts & screws that protrude down out of the steel part of the fender. For that, you need more clearance and adequate bump stops.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A different flare won't prevent a bigger tire like a 35" from running into the sharp parts & screws that protrude down out of the steel part of the fender. For that, you need more clearance and adequate bump stops.
Gee, really?:rolleyes::facepalm:
Of course it wont, but it will allow an acceptable amount of up travel without a body lift or cutting.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
Of course it wont, but it will allow an acceptable amount of up travel without a body lift or cutting.
A larger tire will travel further up into the wheel well and a 35" tire is large enough to reach the sharp parts of the inside of the steel fender at full stuff. Different flares or even removing the flares won't change that at all. To prevent that, you need either taller bump stops and/or a body lift... simply changing (or even removing) the fender flares won't help when you get to that big of a tire size.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bump stops are a given. A body lift or cutting isn't and flat flares DO increase available room for up travel. I've done it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Take it from a guy who has been there already. Do some research on what it takes to properly run those tires BEFORE you put them on. There is ALOT more to running 35's or even 33's than just having the right size lift.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Bump stops are a given. A body lift or cutting isn't and flat flares DO increase available room for up travel. I've done it.

Flat flares to NOT give you clearance from the metal of the fenders... THEY BOLT TO IT..... the flair itself is not the issue... contacting the metal of the fender is.... FLARES ARE PLASTIC AND WILL BE FORGIVING TO YOUR TIRES... METAL WON'T BE....

For example... flat flares would do NOTHING if your tires contact the metal it bolts to...

case in point.... bump stops extensions is what will prevent this.....YES... I'm contacting the METAL FENDER WHERE THE FLARE AND FENDER MEET.

Try to convince me that flat flares will stop this.....

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
There are no rules to the 'fitment' game, especially once you say bye-bye to the stock fenders.

37's, ~+2.5", 5.5" of up travel.

What I did to fit those tires pales in comparison to what it takes to reliably run them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Flat flares to NOT give you clearance from the metal of the fenders... THEY BOLT TO IT..... the flair itself is not the issue... contacting the metal of the fender is.... FLARES ARE PLASTIC AND WILL BE FORGIVING TO YOUR TIRES... METAL WON'T BE....

For example... flat flares would do NOTHING if your tires contact the metal it bolts to...

case in point.... bump stops extensions is what will prevent this.....YES... I'm contacting the METAL FENDER WHERE THE FLARE AND FENDER MEET.

Try to convince me that flat flares will stop this.....

I never claimed flat flares.would prevent tire on metal contact. The FIRST point of contact for 12.5 wide 35" tires will be the flare and most will bump stop there. Changing the factory flare WILL add up travel if you choose not to rub the flares. Most don't want any contact.
The OP asked what is the biggest tire he can run on a 4" lift and 35" is the largest FUNCTIONAL size.
Look at my first response.
Yes we all know there are ways to make it better but that was NOT his question.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Lunatic Fringe said:
This is what you posted.... Looking at my pic, how can you say a flat flare will 'allow and acceptable amount of up travel' from where its at right now?

In that pic, I am on 4" of lift, 33x12.50's, 15x8's with 3.75" BS with 2" bump stop extension and still rubbed metal. Since that test I have added an additional .75" bump stop extension and 1.25" bodylift to stop rubber to metal contact

If I go to 35's.... I would need an additional 1" minimum more of bump stop extension. A flat flare would do nothing for clearance or up travel

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I'll cut through the clutter. 33's are the biggest tire you can fit with no further modifications safely and reliably.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts