Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...just curious of what the biggest tire I can put on my spare carrier is?? I'm running 295/75/16's right now and my spare will be here tomorrow....Will I need a spacer or should it fit? My Rims are 4.5 backspacing and the tires are 295/75/16 General Grabber at2's

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have a 33" spare and it just barely clears stock bumper and under the 3rd brake light. You may be able to squeeze a 34" tire on there. But, with a large spare, you start to run the risk of breaking the spot welds on the rear tailgate. My spare weights 95 lbs so I installed the heavy duty hinges and tailgate reinforcement assembly sold by Retrofit Offroad. A lot of people that have a larger than stock spare tire use the Terraflex heavy duty hinge or the new Rugged Ridge heavy duty hinge. This moves the heavy spare tire load to the body and off on the tailgate.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just hung a 315/75-16 spare on mine. It measures 34-1/2" top to bottom. It does fit on the carrier, and just clears the third brake light. The wheel is 4.5" backspace vs. 6" for my stock Rubicon wheels. It will rub the bumper just a little bit, but the tailgate closes just fine. I wouldn't go any bigger than this on a stock carrier. In fact, if I could afford it right now, I would go directly to a bumper with a carrier built in, and take the new heavy spare off the tailgate once and for all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had an 18 inch rim with 33's and the weight after about 2 years started to ring my hinges pretty good. I then purchased a rear bumper with tire carrier after that. Like foolproof stated ^^^ The weight will be an issue given enough time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckily my wheel is a couple lbs lighter that the Rubicon wheel that was there before but my tire is about 7 lbs heavier...all in all only about a 5lb difference....thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts