Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a bike rack to the Wrangler, but don't like what I've read about tire-mounted bike racks. My issue is that with a good bike rack, like the SOFTRIDE, I can't swing the cargo door completely open. Does anyone have any solutions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why not just use one in the hitch. We have a 4 bike Thule that goes in the 2" reciever. You pull the pin at the bottom and it lays down to allow access.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I have 2 racks. I have the Thule spare me like above and it works perfect. They just say don't open the door with bikes on the rack or it can torque the hinges. I also have one that goes in the hitch but the door can't open at all with that on. I've seen some by Thule tho that have a swing so it can swing away and you should be able to open your tailgate

·
Registered
51 Posts
The absolute BEST bike rack I have purchased (and I have purchased many) is the 1up USA Quik-Rack. At $299 you gotta be serious about wanting the best though. This is the first rack I have owned that I literally feel comfortable traveling distances on the Interstate.

1up USA

Works great on my JK. You cannot however open the back door more than 8-10 in. with a bike on the rack. I put my gear in the back seat.

The quality is wonderful. They look like each piece was handmade. Everything is aluminum for the most part.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
teach95 said:
the thule spare mount works great--but I only have one bike, so no worries there
Unless you get a larger and heavier tire. My top is usually off if the weather warrants a bike ride so I haven't needed to open the gate for it to bother me yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts