Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I would like to get some opinions and suggestions on this topic if you have any.

I have the Quadratec hitch bike rack with an extensor due to 35" tires and now I would like to get a touch screen radio to replace the factory one because I want to install a back up camera. I've was told to look into Alpine radios that have the back camera feature. But their camera utilizes the spare tire as the camera anchor. Given that my bike rack is so high (the vertical bar would block the camera's view) I think that I have one of three options:

1) take off the Quadratec bike rack (where bikes hang by upper tube or adapter) and replace it with the a hitch bike rack where the bike wheels rest on a linear platform holder and locks them for stability. And put the camera onto the spare tire.

2) take off the original hitch bike rack and put a different bike rack onto the spare tire. However that would probably mean that I would have to reinforce the factory spare tire carrier with a Teraflex or Rugged Ridge spare tire carrier reinforcement kit (given that a mountain bike weighs about 27-30 lbs or 55-60 lbs for 2 bikes). And install the back up camera into the hitch orifice.

3) keep the original bike rack and "somehow" attach the camera onto one of the far end sides (where horizontal and vertical bars meet) about the same level as the 2 red reflectors (see pic)....but I'm not sure how practical this option is....just thought to throw this idea out there.

Obviously each of the 3 options will mean I'll be dropping different amount of $ but these are the options that I see. Does anyone see or have done something different to have a bike rack and a back up camera?

And any suggestion for touch screen radios (other than Alpine) that have the following 4 requirements: 1) GPS/Navigation with built in antenna 2) back up camera feature 3) Sirius XM ready and 4) retains factory steering radio controls (screen size isn't super important).

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Or look at the adjustable BrandMotion camera Which is what I installed. As I recall you can get side to side articulation and should be able to shoot around the center post of the bike rack. Another option is to go with a tray style bike rack. I have CF road bikes and never hang them from the center tubes. While I bought a Thule there are better options for you out there (Kuwat - unsure spelling - comes to mind)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phynal

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bolted my stainless steal camera to a stainless hose clamp and clamped the camera to the bottom edge of the trailer hitch over a wrap of electrical tape. With 35"s and a 3.5" lift, the camera is at an ideal height and location for backing up. However, I don't use the hitch and don't know if your bike rack would interfere with the camera in that location.

·
Registered
209 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts