Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a Bikini/Sun Top for my 2007 JK and am looking for feedback from those folks who already have one.

Are they worth the money ($50-75?). Are they easy to install? Do I need to remove any exterior components from my ride to install one? In particular, do they offer any real advantage against the sun? I live in Texas and the summer sun can be pretty brutal.

While I like driving with the top down on 100 degree days, I probably need to take some precaution against skin cancer.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I run a safari top on my lj, its nice for the shade and the bit protection it provides from rain but it sucks because it requires a header and has to be removed to put the top on. My wife has a spider web shade on her jk, its nice for the shade, airflow, ease of installation and never having to remove it for a top but it provides zero rain protection.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Spider web shade, supposed to block 90% of the sun, no needed equipment to install, and fits with both hard and soft top on.

iCal installing mine today

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have a Bestop Bikini Safari, and I actually find it kind of flappy and fiddley. I added a fiberglass spar through the seam in the back to minimize the flapping, and you have to take your window surrounds off to really have it sit down right.

Anything over about 50mph and it balloons up (even with the metal header channel) and I'm not real comfortable that the 4 straps that hold the sides and back down wouldn't give way eventually. I sort of avoid using it and just put up the soft top with the windows out if the sun is blazing.

Fine for low speed trail use, not so much for road use that includes any highway travel. I think I'd choose anything else over another one of these.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
my spiderwebshade comes tomorrow. just in time for beach. tons of people here use them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Count me in as yet another satisfied spiderweb shade customer. It's easy to install, can stay on even when you put the soft top up and it makes a HUGE difference on hot sunny days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Spiderweb JKini here. Good shade, fits tight.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Niether offer much protection from rain, and I have my doors off when I can.
So I went with the sun shade (Spiderweb Shade). If it's going to rain, I just put top up over it and put doors back on.
If it's iffy, I carry the trail cover.

Lately, we've had so much rain down south I've stayed buttoned up anyway, and the shade does just fine with top up and all.

If I had half doors, I'd keep the uppers in the Jeep, leave the doors on, and rock a set up with an Off-Road Heros combo. But I chickened out on half-doors. Must be getting soft.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I had a bikini top 3 years ago, now I have a spiderweb shade. I will never go back to a bikini top again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback all. I was down at my local 4-wheel parts store earlier today and they recommended the Spiderweb Shade as well as an option although they don't sell it. I think that I'm going to look into that option.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have both. The bikini top hasn't been used in 2 years since I got the sun shade. Both work well with my cargo net.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts