Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its winter, but looking ahead to spring and summer I want to know if its possible to take off the two front pieces of my freedom top and put on a bikini or spider shade without removing the back part of the hard top?

I know that may be a stupid question, and it looks like I have to remove the entire hard top to secure the bikini/spider shade, but I'm not 100% as I've never had one before.

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't have a Hardtop but I have had the soft-top on top of my spiderweb. I just had to remove the front bungee connectors from where the soft top connects to the windshield frame (I have a 2010).

I imagine you could do the same for the hardtop. The initial install may require the hardtop to be off though.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you have to fold the entire softop back to attach the spider shade? or could you just fold the top half back and attach it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's easier to put on with the entire top off. With that said I put mine on in April and it's stays there till Nov. I then just put the soft top up and down as needed without having to worry about the reinstalling the spidershade.

The spiderweb shade I have covers both seats and attaches to the rear roll bar.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a TJ with soft top and have the full Spiderweb Shade Cage. Love it... Can use with top up or down. Call the guys at spiderweb shades, think his name was Chris (owner) really helpful. He actually put mine on when I picked it up from his shop. The way it mounts with the bungee balls allows for multiple mounting options.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Yes, a SpiderWeb can be left on all the time.. and as Mr. Crissman mentioned it may be easier to install with the top off, but I'd imagine it can be installed while the hard top is installed....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i could take off the two pieces in the front and install the spider shade....and then place the two pieces back on without taking the shade off? are you sure this will work with a hard top

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
so i could take off the two pieces in the front and install the spider shade....and then place the two pieces back on without taking the shade off? are you sure this will work with a hard top
Should. Call SW as mentioned and find out for sure. The only complication I can see is you might have to move where the bungie balls are located. I like mine with them tucked in anyway, so..... But I have a soft top..and a TJ. Never put it on the JK especially with the hard top on it...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just give him a call. Very helpful and friendly. If you are anywhere near Orlando FL you can go and pick them up and he'll put in on for ya. I bought mine since I have a 1 1/2 year old. It shades him when the top is down and keeps the binky and other baby gear from being tossed out. Also helps keeping gear out of courious eyes. Notice it also quiets the interior when the top is up. Good luck.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Noob here.

This is all new (and exciting) to me..so am still on the learning curve...I appologize if this was already asked and answered elsewhere on the forum.

Is the product discussed in this thread the only one that can be left in place while leaving the softtop installed? OR in general, when it comes to bikini tops, is it an Either/Or situation? (as in you either have your soft top, or you have your sunshade?)

Don't want to hijack the thread, so feel free to pm or point me to another thread where this can or has been discussed.

Thanks!

Don

PS, have an unlimited 4door with the sunrider softtop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The problem that I foresee you running into would be placing/removing the front freedom top pieces because the spider shade would be blocking the levers to release the freedom top pieces. Especially the one in the center by the windshield.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Remember the panels only cover the front seats while the spiderweb will cover the entire seating area.

Also the front of the spiderweb attaches to the dame brackets the panels attach to. You will have to disconnect the 3 bungees in the front but the 2 on the side will be fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
notdeankane said:
Noob here.

This is all new (and exciting) to me..so am still on the learning curve...I appologize if this was already asked and answered elsewhere on the forum.

Is the product discussed in this thread the only one that can be left in place while leaving the softtop installed? OR in general, when it comes to bikini tops, is it an Either/Or situation? (as in you either have your soft top, or you have your sunshade?)

Don't want to hijack the thread, so feel free to pm or point me to another thread where this can or has been discussed.

Thanks!

Don

PS, have an unlimited 4door with the sunrider softtop.
The OEM sunrider attaches to the same mounting points in the front as the soft top does so you should be fine

·
Registered
68 Posts
I installed my spiderweb shade right before it got too cold for me to ride with the top off. It started raining towards the end of the install and I haven't had the top down, since :-(

Anyway, let me say this. I'm an engineer by trade (OK, software engineer, but still!) and it took me quite a bit of trial and error and many, many "WTF"s before I was satisfied with the install. Could I have done it with the top on? Yes. But there would have been a whole lot more "WTF"s, "MF"s, and "GDSOB"s involved in the process.

I'd say buy one now and hang it on a wall somewhere so it's nice and straight and relaxed (they come folded and rolled up and have a gajillion creases that look like crap until the weave "gets used" to being straightened out) when you finally install it the first time decent top-off weather hits.

Putting the top back up after the install was not a problem, FYI.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so you put your 3 piece hard top on after the install and had no problems?

it was just getting the spiderweb on that was hard?

·
Registered
68 Posts
BlackMountain said:
so you put your 3 piece hard top on after the install and had no problems?

it was just getting the spiderweb on that was hard?
I have a soft top but I can tell that any top that'll clear the sport cage will clear the shade. It really wasn't hard, it's just the instructions aren't clear. So you try one thing, then try another and then you don't realize you've done the front all wrong until you've worked your way to the back, etc...

But I'm not bashing the product, to be clear. Seems very well-made and I can't wait to drop the top, again!

Edited to add: there are grommets in the shade where the 2 large hard-top screws will pass through if that's specifically what you're wondering about.

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
For the bikini (front seats), you'll have to remove the fronts. You'll have to loosen the back to get about 1/2" of clearance.

If you have the version that covers all 4 seats, you need to remove the entire top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts