Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace a framed soft top on my '01 TJ.

I'm already running with the backseat out (and about to remove rear seat belts as well.)

I'm curious on some pros and cons of a bikini-duster-winjammer combo like this Bestop Header Style Bikini Top Combo Kit - Black Denim - 52525-15KWA1 vs something like the Rampage Frameless.

I'll be running with windows off, but afternoon rains are common here in Florida, so I'm a bit torn on what to go with.

I'm thinking with the bikini combo it would be pretty easy to just put on the windjammer if it rains and I should be good to go, vs installing the three windows needed if I went with the Rampage? then again maybe the windjammer is a pain to install? It would be nice if there was a windjammer with a single zip down rear window? If I go with the halftop they have a zip out window Bestop but I can't tell if the half top HAS to always have the windjammer connected (I would assume the half-top combo isn't three separate pieces or else it would be the same product?)

I'm curious though - can you even run with the windjammer off and the duster on? or would it start to fill up with wind and create too much tension with the front windows off and windjammer off?

Curious on some thoughts what to go with?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was never a big fan of the windjammers. I always just ran the duster and the full bikini top..the one that would extend over the rear area.

You should be able to run all 3 independently though

·
Registered
372 Posts
The bikini, windjammer, duster cover combo won't keep you completely dry in the rain but neither do most full soft tops. I live in Florida also and have never had a jeep that kept all of the rain out, even my 07 JKU top leaked.

I was in the same boat with my Yj and decided to do he safari top and duster combo instead of the rampage. I have heard some negative stuff about the quality of rampage products and the inability to get it resolved by their customer service.

So, I figured I'd run the safari and duster combo until they get their stuff together or until someone else comes out with a frameless top. A lot cheaper too. I already had my safari too and bought my duster on Amazon for $48 shipped.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I figured I'd run the safari and duster combo until they get their stuff together or until someone else comes out with a frameless top. A lot cheaper too. I already had my safari too and bought my duster on Amazon for $48 shipped.
Cool. Mind posting links to exactly what you purchased? Thanks again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I'm going to go with the full safari bikini top and then a Duster, and I'll get a windjammer as well just to see how it helps with rain.

My debate now is between this wraparound windjammer Bestop Safari Style Bikini Top Combo Kit - Black Denim - 52531-15KWA1 or the more open windjammer Bestop Header Safari Style Bikini Top Combo Kit SuperTop - Black Denim - 52531-15KW1

My question is, does anybody know how much time we are talking to attach the wraparound windjammer vs the non-wraparound style? I'm figuring I'll run without the windjammer and just keep it in the back with the front windows for when it rains, but if it's a major b*otch to setup, I might go with the easier to put up windjammer (or maybe just none at all.)

The other benefit here in Florida is maybe with the enclosed wraparound windjammer the AC might work a bit a better. My AC stinks and I rarely use it, but it's brutal stuck in 98 degree weather in a rainstorm without some AC if you actually want to keep relatively dry. When I'm open I don't care, but when the rain comes it's rough.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
You can consider yourself lucky...well assuming my experience matters.

I ran the Halftop on my '04 TJ for about 2 years. It didn't fit the best because the Halftop was made for '98-'02 TJs and the '03s and forward have a different diameter roll bar padding.

Prior to that I ran a bikini duster jammer combo...and than switched to a wrap around jammer combo.

And prior to that I ran the Factory ST.

Lastly I ran a Frameless NX with wraparound jammer and duster the top in Safari mode.....this was the "PERFECT set up" for me.

Here is why: I had the TJ for eleven years. The factory St was more than I needed since it was just me and I preferred the "truck/ fastback" look.

The Halftop was costly and did allow the "flip back/ sunrider" type of opening, the back window also zipped out to help air flow. But as I said fitment wasn't the best. Yes you could take the top and roll fold it back under the duster, but you lost a lot of cargo space when this was done. As the TJ was my only vehicle at that time, it made vacations trying to run in that mode.

The bikini, duster and jammer is "decent" but IMO is better suited for AZ or some place that is more dry, and where the A/C can come into play. When it would rain, if on the highway the water would follow the strap for the bikini top back into the cab. The standard jammer also allowed water to come in around the edges. The wrap around jammer was more "weather tight" but without the longer top (Safari/ Frameless) the water would still follow the bikini strap into the cab. The wraparound jammer also does not allow the air flow that a standard duster does...so it is warmer. That is good say in March or Nov...not so much in July or Aug.
The leading edge of the Duster will "dip" when it get significant water on it and in turn dump that into the Jeep. I used Jeans type buttons and attached the leading edge to the wraparound jammer to stop this problem.

I also had the lower portion of the Wraparound jammer removed since it was tied to the duster this was not needed. To aid in air flow I had the window in the wrap around jammer changed from fixed to a strip of velcro around the entire outer edge. This allowed for quick install or removal of the window which in turn allowed more airflow, or kept the rain out.

The thing is once I got the Frameless NX with the sunrider feature, and realized I could tighten the straps with the back windows out and run in Safari/ and Sun Rider mode at the same time, I rarely went to the extra work of duster and wraparound jammer, or removing the full top. All the windows and my soft uppers fit in a bag under the duster/ or just laid in the back in the bag.

FLA is a lot different than IN..so your results will probably be different. We RARELY get torrential rain. And it is much warmer there, you might be better suited to a Safari top duster and wraparound jammer...here are a couple Pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JP, is that actually the "half top" kit like this one ? Or is that one of the combo setups? (each piece separate) like this one?

Thanks again.

Because of your post, I'm actually just considering a frameless NX and not even bothering with the duster or wraparound. I could run in one in safari mode and then just put the windows on if it rains. Do they make on that doesn't have the sunrider feature? It's sort of cool I guess to be able to flip it open sometimes, but most of the time I won't be using that.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
2nd post first two pics are the true "halftop" which is all one piece. I mistakenly included one of the duster and wrap around jammer with out a Bikini top..that is the 3rd Pic. The top 2 are the halftop for sure.

First Post is all the different ways to run a Frameless NX that I found.....trhe entire top is in every PIC even when it is all under the Duster.....

The FRAMELESS NX seals very well..and you COULD always add a duster for "security".... if they don't see it, they MIGHT not take it.....To my knowledge there is no Frameless NX that does not have the sunrider feature.....but hey if you don't want to use it no big deal...just don't open it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts