Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been told they're the cat's ass for moderate abuse JK guys. LOL

Can anybody tell me why I shouldn't install a set?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I just installed a set on RK 2.5" lifted jkur. I like them a lot, mine replaced Rancho 5000X and I really liked those as well. For the money the rancho 5000X are the best JK/jku shock going. I only replaced them because I got a wild hair and got a great deal on the 5100's thru Northridge4x4. Not sure it is really an upgrade over the 5000X's more of an equal swap.

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running the white FabTech's right now and have been told the white barreled shocks (fabtech, monroe, oem's etc...) are all made by the same company and are an "okay" shock. Well, that's just not going to cut it for me. Not that Bilsteins are the best by any means, but they're legit, and I'm all about bragging rights. lol

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
If you want to impress get Kings ;)

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to impress get Kings ;)
If I want to impress that much, I'll get a Ferrari.

(I'm not serious enough about all this 4X4 stuff to learn "dialing in" high performance shocks. If I was, I'd run coil-overs... which I think are sexy as hell.)

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I like a really firm ride but I think in a blind test most people would prefer how their jeep felt in dd with the 5000x shocks. Looks wise the 5100's hold the edge and they are about Hal the price with spring rebate coming up.

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like a really firm ride but I think in a blind test most people would prefer how their jeep felt in dd with the 5000x shocks. Looks wise the 5100's hold the edge and they are about Hal the price with spring rebate coming up.
Yep, and another thing was Bilstein's unlimited warranty. I did inquire about Kings and was told they're only covered for 1 year. That ain't gonna get it for me.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Bilstein makes great shocks. I had a set on my jeep for 2 or 3 years and now they are on a toyota, and now I have a set of 4600's on my superduty. It's a good shock for a decent price.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Yep, and another thing was Bilstein's unlimited warranty. I did inquire about Kings and was told they're only covered for 1 year. That ain't gonna get it for me.
The ranchos have life time warranty as well and also a money back 90 day trial period. I can attest that Rancho stands behind their warranty with fast no hassle service. I have not needed Bilsteins service but I have been told it is not quiet seamless as you have to buy your replacement shocks and then they reimburse you when they receive your old shocks back or you have to have downtime on your rig and send your bad shocks back first and wait for them to replace them. Rancho sends you the replacement shocks right away with a shipping label to return the old shocks. Check out the 5000x's and 9000's, the 9000's if you are looking for street cred :) the 5000X's if you are looking for value that works well. If your heart is set on Bilsteins they are great too.

I am only taking the time to respond because I wanted Bilsteins and for whatever reason went with Ranchos and in the back of my mind I always kind of kicked myself, so on a spur of the moment impulse I decided to bite the bullet and go with the 5100's as NR4x4 had a great sale on them. now after a month I still like them but no better than the Ranchos. You will find people who complain about the 5100's ride, you will not find people who complain about the 5000X's ride.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have had Bilstein on several vehicles (including 5100's on the Jeep) and I have always been happy. They may be kinda stiff if you have a two door though, unless it's heavy. However once they get nice and warm like on fire roads or whatever they ride is really good.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I've had Billies on a couple of vehicles and you get so used to them that other shocks make it seem like the rig is broken.
They work better with a moderate load. When you're running light you'll knock your fillings out.
So just always carry your recovery gear and a case of water or something.

I've never destroyed one, btw.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I ran both. I have the Rancho 9000XLs right now and a set of 5100s waiting around as a backup or a switch. The 5100s were smoother at higher speeds/highways. I like the 9000s too, but it seems the 5100 valving was a bit better for high-speed. I'll probably swap them this year.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

·
Vendor
2,910 Posts
It is tough to make a white body shock "sexy" that's why we spent the money on the internals of the RS5000X.
The RS7000MT is zinc plated so that is a solid finish.
And the RS9000XL is silver, so that is like one below gold plated.

:tomatoes:

Rancho needs to step up their game in the looks department. It shouldn't matter but they look awful.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts