Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow Jeepers...My Jeep is making a strange bird like noise while driving. It's high pitched and appears to be coming from the dash (around the speedometer). It's such a nuisance that I've pulled my dash out in attempts to find it.

Any ideas of what could be causing it?

Oh and I have a 95 YJ w/4.0 5spd.

Thanks,

Guy Lee

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I have a cricket noise coming from my heater fan. I named him Jiminy. Probably a loose screw.

Seriously though, it could be wind coming through a wiring harness. If your wiring was messed with the plastic loom might have been removed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Moving only? Does it get faster when you go faster? Maybe the speedo cable has dried out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a cricket noise coming from my heater fan. I named him Jiminy. Probably a loose screw.

Seriously though, it could be wind coming through a wiring harness. If your wiring was messed with the plastic loom might have been removed.
What's the best way to check this? Just put some tape around the area it's coming through the firewall?

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
In my experience, a "chirp" is usually metal to metal rubbing as the vehicle flexes as it goes down the road.
The first items I would check are all the bolts that attach the fenders to the cowl and the struts underneath that support the fenders.
The next thing to check is your battery box bolts and the related struts.
After the battery box I would check all the bolts that attach the dash to the cowl. If you don't find any loose fittings so far, then I would fold the windshield frame forward so that I could check the rest of the dash attaching screws. This is a good time to make sure the windshield hinge and door hinge bolts are tight.

Even if the bolts look tight, put a wrench on them and give them a little twist, just to make sure they are tight.

If none of the above cures your chirp, examine your door openings for contact between the door shell and body. Just because the sound sounds like it is coming from under the dsah, doesn't necessarily mean that is where the problem is. Sound travels.
Perhaps you can remove your passenger seat and have an assistant lay on the floor with his head under the dash with a flashlight and listen for the noise.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Just a thought but it hit me like a brick when somebody mentioned steering, under the hood against the firewall there is a knuckle that looks like your driveshaft for the steering, check that. Mine did the same thing you describe and until I greased that area it drove me nuts

The piece I am pointing slides and makes an annoying chirp sound. Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great suggestions everyone! I thank you all for the advice. I'm going to tackle it tomorrow and let you know what I find or if it's resolved!

Sincerely,

Guy Lee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts