Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Uuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm, whats the point? Whoa, wait.....is that Painters Tape??

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I guess my next question would have to be Why?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I must say it looks far better now than with BFG.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
:rofl: THAT'S GREAT!

...But yeah, why? That's going to be a hell of a sticky mess to clean off the Jeep, plus I wouldn't be surprised if there's some damage to the paint.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did a trip this weekend through 30+ miles of thick trees and brush.

The tape did great. It's the non-taped parts that suffered. I thought the door handles would protect the area behind them, but they didn't.

Yeah, yeah. It's a jeep, scratches, blah blah blah.

I hate scratches, tape is cheap.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Did a trip this weekend through 30+ miles of thick trees and brush.

The tape did great. It's the non-taped parts that suffered. I thought the door handles would protect the area behind them, but they didn't.

Yeah, yeah. It's a jeep, scratches, blah blah blah.

I hate scratches, tape is cheap.
Good point. I hate the hell outta scratches, dings, dents, etc. I'm a bit of a diva about my Jeep, even though it's a Jeep. :hide:

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
:nonono:

·
Registered
204 Posts
The tape did not damage the paint at all?......
How wide was the tape that you used? 2", 1 1/2"?
How long did it take you to tape your Jeep?
This either the craziest or most ingenious thing I've seen ..... ha ha.
Neat......

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Now that you're the one who said it, I whole heartedly agree. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Guilty as charged, Tom, and NOT ashamed to admit it! :D

We hated the hell outta that damned trip to Rausch Creek! Loved the VERY FEW areas of dirt trail and LOVED going through the water, climbing the hills, etc., but just did NOT enjoy bouncing around in rocks at .5 mph for three hours. I have stomach problems, so all the bouncing around on the rocks just made me that much more miserable.

I think the best part about the trip for us was just meeting and hanging out with some people from the forum, but it was cool to see how capable Jeeps are, especially since this is my first one.

Don't flatter yourself, but you were the person I was looking most forward to meeting. I kept thinking, "I really need to meet the smartass behind the computer screen." :rofl:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tape did not damage the paint at all?......
How wide was the tape that you used? 2", 1 1/2"?
How long did it take you to tape your Jeep?
This either the craziest or most ingenious thing I've seen ..... ha ha.
Neat......
I don't think the tape has harmed anything. Even if it did, it will be way easier to clay or buff out than the what the tree branches would have done. It was like nails on a chalkboard for miles. I will take a closer look when we get some sun.

I started with 3" tape on the roof. Ran out and switched to 2". Ran out of that and had to the last half of a rear door with 3/4" tape.

It took about 2 hours.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a pic I took after we got home and pulled the tape off. There's no real obvious damage from the tape.

In fact, I think if I had perfectly taped it everywhere, I wouldn't even have to wash it.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Damn that is a lot of tape. I don't blame you for doing it. Faster than plasti dipping and cheaper than paying for scratch removal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow I thought I had too much time on my hands. Props to you OP but seriously?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Someone one here cut out flexible magnetic paneling for the sides and hood. You should look into buying a sheet or two instead.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
That was awesome....and I understand. You pay $30K, $35K, $40K for a vehicle, you may not want scratches on it. No shame in that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts