Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Black Magic Brakes have begun to squeal lately and after hearing Blaine say they never squeal, I have made the assumption that the rotors are the problem. They have begun to develop a little lip on the outside and I am thinking it might be this. Anyway, I think it is time for some new Centric rotors.

This leads to my question:

My pads are still in good shape so is the break in process any different for NEW rotors but USED pads?

Hopefully someone (or ideally Blaine) knows this!

Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You still need to transfer the pad material to the new rotor. I'd follow the original break in procedure.
For some reason I think I remember seeing somewhere that it is different for used pads. I guess I will just follow the original.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,418 Posts
Call or email Blaine. He will help you.
X2, there's no better support given than what Blaine likes to give out freely.

A key thing to keep in mind with the Black Magic pads is they don't like to be babied. If you do, they'll glaze and their braking performance will decrease. Don't be afraid to use them hard and make sure you don't sit at long stop lights holding the brakes on hard when they're hot which transfers brake pad material to the rotors. That is how any brake starts pulsating which makes some people think their rotors are warped. In reality, it's just from leaving the brake pedal pushed down hard when the brakes are hot at a long red light which eventually builds up a pattern on the rotor much like a washboard road.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine started squeaking a little when they got warmed up. Like Jerry said it was from me driving it like a grandpa. Been using them a little more aggressive no more issues. I do have the new rotors with them as well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
X2, there's no better support given than what Blaine likes to give out freely.

A key thing to keep in mind with the Black Magic pads is they don't like to be babied. If you do, they'll glaze and their braking performance will decrease. Don't be afraid to use them hard and make sure you don't sit at long stop lights holding the brakes on hard when they're hot which transfers brake pad material to the rotors. That is how any brake starts pulsating which makes some people think their rotors are warped. In reality, it's just from leaving the brake pedal pushed down hard when the brakes are hot at a long red light which eventually builds up a pattern on the rotor much like a washboard road.
Thanks Jerry! I will get in contact with him and post back on here when he responds. I certainly do not use the brakes hard because I like downshifting but I'll start going a little harder on them to see if it solves the problem.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I have spoken with Blaine (who responded very quickly by the way) and is almost positive that they need to be broken in again. He reaffirmed what you said Jerry about them being babied, so I have started to drive a little differently. He confirmed that even after driving them with two years without any problems, they could need a new break in. I will try to break them in and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone's help and especially to Blaine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts