Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I've been trying to make my Jeep as black as possible, I've always HATED the muffler hanging down under there looking like it did. I've kicked around a few aftermarket mufflers, and I'll probably still do that at some point, but it's just not something I want to do right now. And I've never really had good luck with spray paint for one reason or another.

Enter KG Gun Kote. I saw that another forum member recommended it awhile back, so I can't take credit for an original idea, but I did want to share my results since I know many of you on here hate the look of the stock muffler as much as I did. This stuff is awesome! According to their website:

" With a pencil hardness of >9H, the 2400 Series will flex with a 180 degree bend. The 2400 Series Gun Kote is formulated to provide excellent impact resistance, lubricity, heat dissipation, chemical and corrosion resistance, durability and scratch resistance. The cured coating will not attract dirt or debris."

Specifically I used the 2400 SOCOM Black formula. They've got like seven different blacks to choose from, but being a muffler, I didn't think it was all that critical as long as it was flat, so I grabbed this one just to see what it looked like. It turned out to be a perfect match to my AEV rear bumper. I spent the morning scrubbing, sanding, and rescrubbing the muffler. Then I doused it with caliper cleaner and covered it with a good layer of their K-Phos Pretreatment. They recommend sandblasting it, but I don't have the means to do that so I hope this is good enough!

It comes airbrush ready so I also had to get a $17 airbrush on Amazon. This was my first time using an airbrush but it went fairly well. This stuff is pretty forgiving as far as uneven coating and striping, at least as far as I was concerned for a muffler. It also requires baking to cure it, but that's just a simple matter of letting the engine run for an hour. All in all I couldn't be more pleased! By the time you pay shipping and buy the pretreatment the stuff's not exactly cheap but it looks great and if it's half as durable as they claim then it will have been well worth the money and a couple hours of my time!

ForumRunner_20130713_164043.jpg

·
Registered
952 Posts
Awesome! It looks good. Thinking of using it on any other items under there?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I don't think I'll ever use paint again. :) I don't really have anything left that needs to be done, but if I did I would definitely stick with this. As it is, I'm thinking about stripping and redoing some of the random screws n' junk - like the ones holding on my gas cap cover. If I hadn't already gotten my skid plates and bombshells powder coated I'd say this would be perfect for that. Only problem is finding a way to bake the big things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts