Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one painted these rims black? if so what techniques worked out the best and what type of paint works best? would like to see some pics thanks.

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Tire Automotive tire Wheel

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I would use monsterliner or herculiner on them. If you're going for black, that should give you the most resistant coating that you can get without powdercoating them.

Denis

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was thinking about plastidip. I don't do much off roading except to go to fishing spots. was hoping to see some example pictures of this rim style black.

·
Registered
'49-Willys, '98-TJ, '13-JKU Rubi
97 Posts
I painted my aluminum wheels black in 2005, with krylon satin finish. I fits scrubbed them with steel wool then degreaser. The paint lasts for about 4 years before needing a fresh coat. Chips from rocks touch up pretty easy as well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What was the proceedure? Did you remove the tires? Or use the index card method? Curious because I would like to do mine, and yours look good.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I had no tires on the rims when I did it. I had to clean alot on these rims they were bad. I had to clean them with Scotch brite and wire wheels to get the brake dust off. Cleaned them real good with degreaser. Taped off what I didnt want painted. Then primed them and 3 coats of paint. I did the center caps on their own.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I am going to try and paint them while they are still on the jeep. I will try and tape off all the brakes and clean and paint.

·
Registered
'49-Willys, '98-TJ, '13-JKU Rubi
97 Posts
I pulled them off, scrubbed, cleaned/ degreased, taped and painted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts