Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys. Im looking to change my rims to black and was wondering what my options my be. Ive read a few different forums but was hoping some guys could shed some light on the different options, prices, and quality.

Im looking to stay on the less expensive side.

Thanks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Look at the raceline brand. Ebay usually has a good deal for a 5 wheel package.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I was looking for black wheels I wanted something that would fit my stock tires but also fit 35's with proper backspacing. Here are my notes in case it's helpful. I went with Anerican Outlaw Hollywoods and have been very happy running 35s.

Jeep stock rubicon tires

LT 255 75 R17
Tire height formula:
255 x .75 / 25.4 X 2 + 17 = 32.06 inches tall

Build sheet says 17X7.0 for rim

Current tires have max rim width of 8.5 so I can't fit current tires on a 17X9 rim

Jeep bolt pattern 5-127. Any wheel listed 8.5" with -6mm offset has a 4.5" backspace

You want no higher than 4.5" backspace to fit 35 inch tires. 4.25 is -12mm and 4.0 is -19mm

Here are 17x8.5 wheels with -6mm offset (4.5" backspace) and 5-127 bolt pattern
MB wheels TKO $120
MB wheels Razor
MB wheels Chaos 5 ( machined)
Level 8 Tracker (circles)
Level 8 Punch (anthracite)
DX4 7s $139 BKMTXX

Here are 17x8.5 wheels with -10mm offset (4.36 backspace) and 5-127 bolt pattern
American Outlaw Hollywood $135
17 X8.5 5-127.00 -10 BKMTXX

Here are 17x8.5 wheels with -12mm offset (4.28 backspace) and 5-127 bolt pattern
V-Tec Wizard
V-Tec Warlord (machined)
V-Tec Warlord (matte black) special order $125
Vision Warlord (matte black) same as V-Tec

Here are 17x8.5 wheels with -10mm offset (4.36 backsoace) and 5-127 bolt pattern
American Outlaw Hollywood $135
17 X8.5 5-127.00 -10 BKMTXX

Here are 17x8.5 wheels with -12mm offset (4.28backsoace) and 5-127 bolt pattern
V-Tec Wizard (ugly)
V-Tec Warlord (macined decent)
V-Tec Warlord (matte black) special order $125
Vision Warlord (matte black) same as V-Tec

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you like the look of old school steel wheels, you can't beat the Level 8 Trackers (17x8.5, 5x127, 4.5" backspacing). Stole mine from Discount Tire Direct for $585 for all five, lugs amd shipping (which I think was free). Great quality, great looks. Wrapped them in Mastercraft Courser MXTs (295/70/17) and love the look. Took 3 oz. at most to balance them too. Only real adjustment I had to make to fit everything was a quick trim of the air dam. IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0037.JPG

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Plastidip them

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If you like the look of old school steel wheels, you can't beat the Level 8 Trackers (17x8.5, 5x127, 4.5" backspacing). Stole mine from Discount Tire Direct for $585 for all five, lugs amd shipping (which I think was free). Great quality, great looks. Wrapped them in Mastercraft Courser MXTs (295/70/17) and love the look. Took 3 oz. at most to balance them too. Only real adjustment I had to make to fit everything was a quick trim of the air dam. View attachment 2848601

View attachment 2848609

View attachment 2848617
I'm really leaning towards these. Great look.

And will find a nice 33" to go on my white JK

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm really leaning towards these. Great look.

And will find a nice 33" to go on my white JK
Trust me you won't be disappointed. Great design, look, quality, and an incredible price. Compared to the wheels going for +$200 a piece, you can't beat it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Plastidip them
Not a bad idea, though having done this, you may want to have it professionally done. It was a pain in the ass doing them all, and my "skills" didn't show on all five. Plus it's a pain in the ass if you ever want to take it off. It is however a quick and cheap alternative to buying new wheels, especially if you like the stock look.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Whats up guys. Im looking to change my rims to black and was wondering what my options my be. Ive read a few different forums but was hoping some guys could shed some light on the different options, prices, and quality.

Im looking to stay on the less expensive side.

Thanks.
I really like the Mammoth wheels from Extreme Terrain. Here is a pic of my rig with the Boulder Black version;

They are inexpensive and have held up well so far. If you send a pm to @XTRyan he can usually get you a discount.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Kind of a broad question... do you want to stick to OEM size or go larger? what do you have right now?
For example, I purchased a set of willys take-offs and then sold my rubicon take-offs, they are the exact same rim/tire, only the wheel finish is different.
This swap was cost neutral, including TPMS swap and balancing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had my stock steelies so pulled the Wranglers off, sanded them, shot them with Rustoleum truck bed liner and mounted KO2s.

I like the look and the price was right.

Pic prior to the fresh application of fun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was considering this. How much does that usually run?
I got five cans at Walmart for like $25-30 bucks. About five hours of work. Honestly though it's more of a temporary fix. It was fine for a few months p, until I actually decided to upgrade. You can get it done professionally, search around and see what you can find. I recommend that just because the quality will be far better

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts