Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do people black out license plates when they post a photo of their Jeep?

You drive around everyday with the plate exposed that hundreds of people see everyday.

Some people pay extra money for a vanity plate and bring more attention to the vehicle it is on.

You can type in a persons name in the computer and for a few dollars can have a detailed search of the person and know almost everything there is to know about them.

I just don't understand why black out the license plate in photos I post.

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
821 Posts
People are paranoid and think their data is safe.
Talk to your local IT guy if you want the truth, you won't like his answer.

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
Many don’t put in their name
Like the military intelligence guys always said even if it is in public domain don’t categorize and organize it as bad guys like the help

No point in making it know where to go steal the vehicle

Around here plate stays with owner not with vehicle when sold

Just good general practice to limit PII whenever possible as you ever know which piece or pieces will bite you

Thus when in doubt leave it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Just had this topic appear on another forum.

First, you need to get said person's name. I doubt many will freely post their full name and address on a public forum. Then you can do your search. Tracking a person's plate will normally give you that info, hence why people blur them.

There are some vindictive people on online forums who will do anything to trash another forum member.

Here's an example from another forum I'm on:

There's a gun forum called AR15.com and they have a term there called Arocking. Want to know how that term came to be?

AROCK - A former member who earned the ire of ARFCOM by attempting to screw with another member's employment and livelihood and shall forever bear the stain of infamy.

Want to take a stab on how many times someone has been arocked on that forum? A lot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the information.
I'm 70 years old and have never been that paranoid about life. It's a different world from when your name, address and phone number were published in a telephone book for everyone to see.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
I'm 70 years old and have never been that paranoid about life. It's a different world from when your name, address and phone number were published in a telephone book for everyone to see.
Not as old as you, but I remember the phone books with names and addresses in them. The last phone book I actually looked at only had names and numbers. They dropped the addresses. No clue if it's still the same way. It's been years.

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
Also library had copies of directories for door to door salesmen to look name and phone number organized by address

Think they called it the city directory

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not for everyone to see, just the people in the same town as you. Now, the whole world has access to it and machines can analyze and process it better than an office building full of people could in the analog days.

Since we Jeepers love to post pics of our Jeeps, everybody should read this article:

https://jalopnik.com/google-is-reading-your-license-plates-1839259494

·
Registered
821 Posts
I loved how the holes in the cans pop out rather than in when supposedly being shot. Adds to the enjoyment of the movie greatly!

Its these cans!!! God hates these CANS!!!! :bop:
PS... I didn't see Stitches post till after mine... but yeah we all seem to get it

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why do people black out license plates when they post a photo of their Jeep?

You drive around everyday with the plate exposed that hundreds of people see everyday.

Some people pay extra money for a vanity plate and bring more attention to the vehicle it is on.

You can type in a persons name in the computer and for a few dollars can have a detailed search of the person and know almost everything there is to know about them.

Pretty simple.
A large % of the population are equal parts paranoid and ignorant.
Generally based only upon what they read online 🙄

·
Registered
7,859 Posts

It’s called a Photoshop mod. If you don’t like it, don’t do it in your posts. I believe it has something to do with Russian BOTS.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
It’s called a Photoshop mod. If you don’t like it, don’t do it in your posts. I believe it has something to do with Russian BOTS.
Doggone Ruskys anyhow.
Why can't they stick to the elections like they're supposed to and leave our Wranglers alone?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to steal your Jeep".
(Or something like that).

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
Aruba too far away too hard to get off an island and typically near ocean with too much rust

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Paranoid people do dumb SHI...stuff. Your license plate shows everytime you drive your Jeep. Blocking it in pictures is idiotic. My license plate describes my life.
P.S.
PLEASE LOOK AWAY paranoid people and don't steal my identity, you won't like it! Here's a pic of my XJ plate too. "Ghosted":atomic:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Paranoid people do dumb SHI...stuff. Your license plate shows everytime you drive your Jeep. Blocking it in pictures is idiotic. My license plate describes my life.
It's odd the "LOSTKOZ" shows up as assigned to the Cherokee.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts