Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Bleeding slave cylinder

1934 Views 48 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Old_XJ
Hey everyone. I recently changed my slave cylinder and have been having a really hard time bleeding the system. I’m using a motive power bleeder and have a steady stream of fluid flowing out of the bleeder on the slave cylinder but I still don’t have a pedal at all. Does anyone have any tips? This is on a 07 jku by the way. Thanks in advance.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah right now it look like I'm going to need about 5 gallons of DOT 3 to get this done. Its crazy how I do not see/hear any air coming out now but the pedal still goes straight to the floor without any pressure to it.

· Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I noticed a difference between the the master cylinder bleed cap adapter on the Motive Power Brake Bleeder kit 0113 vs. the Miller Tool 6921 specified in the service manual.

The Miller tool his a stem that makes sure it is submerged in fluid. The Motive cap does not.

I was getting ready to use my Motive kit for the first time.

Gas Rim Machine Circle Auto part

Font Rectangle Screenshot Circle Number

Rectangle Font Handwriting Circle Brand

Automotive lighting Material property Magenta Audio equipment Metal

· Registered
724 Posts
I noticed a difference between the the master cylinder bleed cap adapter on the Motive Power Brake Bleeder kit 0113 vs. the Miller Tool 6921 specified in the service manual.

The Miller tool his a stem that makes sure it is submerged in fluid. The Motive cap does not.

I was getting ready to use my Motive kit for the first time.

View attachment 4570015

View attachment 4570017
View attachment 4570018

View attachment 4570016

I only use the Motive to pressurize the system, and have never filled it with brake fluid. It eliminates the messy cleanup, and any risk of aerating the system. I just fill the master cylinder reservoir full of brake fluid and attach the motive cap, then pump it up to full pressure. I then go down and open the bleed valve to let the fluid flow for a bit and time how fast it takes to drain the reservoir down to the minimum level. I then release pressure, refill the reservoir, and repeat the process until I am satisfied with the fluid coming out. When bleeding the clutch fluid I also try to park nose down on a hill so that the bleed valve is at a higher point in the system. I also use this process to bleed the brakes, and it has never failed to produce a satisfactory result.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you bleed the slave with it installed? I've heard some people say to take it out so that you can bleed is at a 45 degree angle to help get air out but other people say that is not necessary.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would recommend installing a Mopar slave cylinder if you find that the hydraulic line fitting attachment to the slave is sealing properly.
The line seems to be good. I do not see any leaks and when I pressurize the system the pressure does not leak down.

· Registered
724 Posts
Do you bleed the slave with it installed? I've heard some people say to take it out so that you can bleed is at a 45 degree angle to help get air out but other people say that is not necessary.
No I have a sloped driveway so I just park nose down so the bleed valve is pointed higher up in the system, but with the Motive it really shouldn't make much difference.

· Registered
724 Posts

· Registered
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. No lift with 35's
3 Posts
Hey everyone. I recently changed my slave cylinder and have been having a really hard time bleeding the system. I’m using a motive power bleeder and have a steady stream of fluid flowing out of the bleeder on the slave cylinder but I still don’t have a pedal at all. Does anyone have any tips? This is on a 07 jku by the way. Thanks in advance.
I recently install a new slave cylinder, took 4 tries to get a good one from the store. I ended up opening the valve, running a 3/16 rubber hose back to the top of the master cylinder. Took about a week but 2-3 time a day I would pump the clutch until the air finally stopped coming out. Just like bench bleeding, only on the vehicle.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'm going to try and take it out of the trans and bleed it at an angle one more time and if that doesn't work I will return it and buy a Mopar brand.

· Registered
3 Posts
Curious how this turns out. I had the same problems when replacing. I returned a couple of them on Amazon and then paid more for one at a local autoparts store and finally got it to work. Not sure what brand but was not Mopar.

For me I think what I had to do was once I got some pedal, I drove around a little, waited a bit and then bled again. Repeated that a few times. I still feel like pedal needs to be stronger but afraid to try to bleed again and have to start all over.

I have a little trouble shifting into second gear. Not sure what the issue is but may try a Mopar slave if that helps you. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts