Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have success bleeding the ABS system to restore brake pedal feel.. My 2015 had an ok Pedal then one day I ran over a little bump/jump got some air and the pedal was never the same...its soft now...

Read that air could have gotten into ABS system ???

P Scott

·
Registered
464 Posts
Anyone have success bleeding the ABS system to restore brake pedal feel.. My 2015 had an ok Pedal then one day I ran over a little bump/jump got some air and the pedal was never the same...its soft now...

Read that air could have gotten into ABS system ???

P Scott
There is a trick for the ABS. I think you disconnect the battery and pump the brake pedal like 20 times. I'm sure someone will chime in if that's wrong.

one thing that helps with bleeding is one of these. Much better than old school method of having someone push brake while you open and close bleeder.

Amazon.com: Mityvac MV8000 Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit: Automotive

·
Registered
464 Posts
also not sure why a bump would cause air in the brake system - I wonder if something else isn't damaged. Is your brake fluid reservoir full? Might want to take it to dealership, brakes are kinda important safety feature :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
one thing that helps with bleeding is one of these. Much better than old school method of having someone push brake while you open and close bleeder.

Amazon.com: Mityvac MV8000 Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit: Automotive
This works even better than a vacuum pump. The Motive power bleeder. I bought one of these for when I was at the track. It takes me longer to jack up each corner than it does to bleed the entire system. It doesn't do the ABS system because depending on the vehicle it takes special equipment to open the ABS valves. However I had a blown brake line on my truck and lost most of the fluid. Once I fixed the line and bleed it, it worked great. So I doubt you got air into the ABS module, more likely air in just the lines.

This is the one that's Mopar specific.

Motive Products Power Bleeder Kits 0103 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You should still be under 3/36 on your 15. Take it in. I also don't see how hitting a bump in the road equals air in the system. Since you described your brake pedal as "Ok" it sounds like there might have been a problem for awhile. I have no complaints with my brakes. Since it doesn't feel right, have it taken care of under warranty. If you caused damage somehow by hitting that "little" bump then it might not be covered.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fear the dealer... dont like them messing with it unless I really really have to..
Will try bleeding brakes myself.. see what happens.. do you have a hard pedal on your Jeep ?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I fear the dealer... dont like them messing with it unless I really really have to..
Will try bleeding brakes myself.. see what happens.. do you have a hard pedal on your Jeep ?
Basically yes, it's normal. I would recommend that you take it in. It sounds like there's been a problem prior to the bump in the road. I'm sure their techs have more experience dealing with the JK braking system than you have, or even me for that matter. If you damage something by attempting to fix it yourself while it's under warranty, you'll have to pay for the repair. If the dealer is that bad you can use another dealer. I still don't see how air could have gotten into the system by hitting a bump. It's possible that there has been some type of issue since you bought it. Maybe air, maybe the master cylinder, maybe there's a leak. I'm sure you checked the level in the master cylinder. It really could be a number of issues that need to be ruled out. Whatever you decide, good luck. Have faith in the dealer pastor.:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Either run it down a dirt road and skid / activate the abs about 10 times, stop and bleed the system. Activating the ABS will push the air in the line so you can bleed it out.

Or go get a scan tool / code reader and go thru the ABS bleed steps and then bleed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts