Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year I had to replace my leaky engine oil cooler. When refilling the coolant I sat the jeep on an incline and tried get all of the air out by squeezing the coolant lines and adding coolant. I can tell there is air still in the system though. The car is not overheating or anything but i want to get all the air out. I looked at an online manual and it said i needed a special tool that hooks up to compressed air. Does anyone know of a different way? Or should I start asking around in local forums to see if someone has the tool?

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
:welcome:to the forum. That tool is well worth the money, I bought one and it is a time saver for sure. Having said that it can be done, on a slight incline squeezing the hoses and opening up the bleeder valve on the cooling system. I'm not sure what engine you have, you didn't mention it. Check if there is a bleeder/bleeders for the cooling system, and open them up when bleeding it. Certain engines have a procedure for bleeding them as well, I'd check into that too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Right now i dont have a garage or air compressor. Otherwise i would get the tool. I have a 2014 JK with the 3.6 pentastar. I tried at an angle but sounds like its worth looking for someone with a tool.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Earlier this year I had to replace my leaky engine oil cooler. When refilling the coolant I sat the jeep on an incline and tried get all of the air out by squeezing the coolant lines and adding coolant. I can tell there is air still in the system though. The car is not overheating or anything but i want to get all the air out. I looked at an online manual and it said i needed a special tool that hooks up to compressed air. Does anyone know of a different way? Or should I start asking around in local forums to see if someone has the tool?
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/bleeding-air-from-coolant-on-3-6-a-986241.html

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Compressed air to get air out of coolant system? What is this black magic you speak of?

I've used the no-spill funnel. Takes some time, but works well.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Exactly how does that unit work?
Basically, it builds a vacuum in the cooling system. It will actually collapse coolant hoses with the vacuum.

Then when you open the valve on the tube to a bucket/bottle/etc that you have your new coolant in, and it will suck the coolant into the system...

I believe if you google it, you can see some videos of it in action... it worked for me on a couple different cars now...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Looks like the one I bought from MAC Tools but about $75 less....
Works great!!!!

No more burping.... Heater problems non existent.... Find leaks in the system without making a mess...

But...
It’s not a tool the average Joe will use more than a handful of times..
I started doing something about 20 years ago that served me well. When changing thermostats, I drilled a 1/8” hole in the edge of the stat close to the gasket surface, but still exposed to coolant. That trick eliminates the violent burp when the stat opens up for the first time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry to bring an old topic again. Last month I had a defective radiator cap on my JK which causes to spill when the preassure opens the cap to the overflow. Logically it lost some small amount of coolant.

Replaced with new stant cap and added some coolant on the oveflow tank. Since I don't drive the JK as my daily drive I notice now that during a cold start you hear a little water sound behind the dashboard. Can I be ok, if I let it bleed itself out ? Or go again with the funnel gadget again?

I am just lazy to and don't like to let it idle around 30mins burning fuel.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Sorry to bring an old topic again. Last month I had a defective radiator cap on my JK which causes to spill when the preassure opens the cap to the overflow. Logically it lost some small amount of coolant.

Replaced with new stant cap and added some coolant on the oveflow tank. Since I don't drive the JK as my daily drive I notice now that during a cold start you hear a little water sound behind the dashboard. Can I be ok, if I let it bleed itself out ? Or go again with the funnel gadget again?

I am just lazy to and don't like to let it idle around 30mins burning fuel.

thanks.
If you have air in your heater core, the easier fix is to disconnect the two heater hoses under the hood, and force feed some coolant through one hose until it overflows from the other, then reconnect the hoses. That should flush the air out. No need to drain the whole system.

See pics in my other post: Flushing your JK's cooling system

·
Registered
350 Posts
Woo hoo, no more air. I did one 20 mins with the funnel gadget with temp on heat (no fan) then drove for couple days and wossh no more water sound. I replenished the coolant on the overflow tank that got little lowered. Guess I worried too much for stuff that you give it time it works itself out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts