Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back, I had some work done by the dealership on my 2015 JKU Sahara -- cylinder head replace (cylinder 2 misfire), radiator replaced, and airbag recall completed. When I got my Wrangler back, the heat wasn't working. I told the dealer about it but since it was the end of May, I wasn't too worried about the heat.

I took it back to the dealership to have them fix the issue since it seems like they did something to cause it to stop working. It sat in the lot for 2 days untouched and since I can't go forever without a vehicle, I picked it up.

I checked the heater core and it's getting hot. When I cycled back and forth from hot to cold, I didn't hear the blend door actuator. I removed the panel below the steering wheel, the metal panel and brace behind it in an attempt to access the actuator. There is an air duct to the left of the actuator that makes access difficult. I watched a youtube video that made it appear that the duct was easy to remove; however, I did not find that to be the case. I managed to get a finger on what I think was the actuator arm and it was not moving when I cycled from cold to hot and back. I also verified that it is connected.

Before I take it back to the dealership or my regular mechanic, does anyone have any suggestions or know if any easy fixes? It seems like you have to remove the entire dash, upper and lower, to get to this damn thing but I can't imagine that's really the case.

·
Registered
687 Posts
A few months back, I had some work done by the dealership on my 2015 JKU Sahara -- cylinder head replace (cylinder 2 misfire), radiator replaced, and airbag recall completed. When I got my Wrangler back, the heat wasn't working. I told the dealer about it but since it was the end of May, I wasn't too worried about the heat.

I took it back to the dealership to have them fix the issue since it seems like they did something to cause it to stop working. It sat in the lot for 2 days untouched and since I can't go forever without a vehicle, I picked it up.

I checked the heater core and it's getting hot. When I cycled back and forth from hot to cold, I didn't hear the blend door actuator. I removed the panel below the steering wheel, the metal panel and brace behind it in an attempt to access the actuator. There is an air duct to the left of the actuator that makes access difficult. I watched a youtube video that made it appear that the duct was easy to remove; however, I did not find that to be the case. I managed to get a finger on what I think was the actuator arm and it was not moving when I cycled from cold to hot and back. I also verified that it is connected.

Before I take it back to the dealership or my regular mechanic, does anyone have any suggestions or know if any easy fixes? It seems like you have to remove the entire dash, upper and lower, to get to this damn thing but I can't imagine that's really the case.

On the driver side, the replacement is easy. Just a little annoying with the limited room. you could always unbolt you seat. The duct is easy to remove. It's two parts. Try to separate them. I bought a new one, but I see that you can actually reuse the broken one if you clock the one broken gear appropriately.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried separating the air duct but I couldn't get my hands in there and around it to sufficiently get a grip on it to pull it apart.

However, the heat is now working. I removed the upper dash and dash center console, which required me to disconnect the fan, temp select, and vent select controls. When I reconnected everything, the recirc light on the vent select was flashing after starting the Jeep. It stopped after a few seconds but still no heat. The next time started it, it was again flashing but this time, the heat was working. Everything seems to know be working just fine.

I'm not sure what the flashing indicated, but I replaced the AC/Heat control knobs a couple years ago (got soaked in a rain storm) and seem to remember it did the same thing. Some sort of reset it cycles itself thru?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts