Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ive searched and not came up with a solution for say. I replaced my blend door motor cause it was clicking and yep teeth missing. Was good for about 2 months then it started clicking again. Took it out the other day and made sure it was good yep it was. Put it back in and the clicking gone, three days later it's back.

What's the fix for this cause it isn't exactly simple to get that thing in and out all the time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Per the factory manual, you're meant to do an "Actuator Calibration function" using a scan tool as the very last step of replacing the blend door. I'd assume it's not calibrated so the motor/HVAC ECU is not synced and breaking teeth?

This is possible to do w/ a Witech 1.0/Micropod (whether it's a clone or original), or for a simpler/cheaper route you may ask the dev's at AlfaOBD or Appcar DiagFCA if either of their apps will do that function. DiagFCA seems to list it in the HVAC module for the JK, but it's not clear if it's doing the actual calibration function or if it's only reading the calibration data. Jscan may be another option.

It would be a 10 min or less procedure at the dealership as well, but probably would cost more there than the OBD module and the software.

https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/supported-vehicles/jeep/jeep-wrangler/
https://www.alfaobd.com/index.html
JScan ? OBD JScan ? Mobile Jeep Diagnostic Tool

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
The HVAC control module does the calibration function automatically on the first restart without the use of any tool. Upon the first restart the DEF light in the control panel will flash while this function is being completed. Once completed the def light should not flash again on restart. If the blend air module is clicking it is because the teeth are slipping. The modules are cheap. I'd just replace it again. I've seen the Dorman modules slip teeth with no noticeable damage to the gears.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I forgot to mention that my heater controls are doing the blinking thing when ever I turn the key on. Could this be not helping the problem?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So an update here. I replaced the blend door actuator again and replaced the controls with new ones. Im still getting the flash on the def button. Should I hook it up and see if I can calibrate it from there?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
So an update here. I replaced the blend door actuator again and replaced the controls with new ones. Im still getting the flash on the def button. Should I hook it up and see if I can calibrate it from there?

if you replaced the physical actuator motor, and the calibration has been completed (should take about 30 seconds or so) and it does the calibration every time you start the Jeep up, you may need to replace the HVAC unit its self, also using doorman units may also have an effect, as I had a door man unit that caused the calibration every time and once I replaced it with my original OEM unit I got rid of the issue

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you replaced the physical actuator motor, and the calibration has been completed (should take about 30 seconds or so) and it does the calibration every time you start the Jeep up, you may need to replace the HVAC unit its self, also using doorman units may also have an effect, as I had a door man unit that caused the calibration every time and once I replaced it with my original OEM unit I got rid of the issue
What's the actual calibration though?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts