Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all, I blew a speaker in the soundbar. I have been running with the top off since May and at highway speeds I need to have the volume cranked to hear the audio. I guess my right side speaker didn't like that too much and it blew.

I am going out this weekend to get replacements. My questions is will any 6 1/2 inch 2 way speaker work or do they make special ones to fit the sounds bar?

I just have the base radio, no sub but I am definitley looking at upgrading the soundbar speakers to Alpines, JBL, or Polk if those will work.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I bought my polks from crutch field and came with a spacer to make them fit. Not sure if any are direct plug and play without it.

I like my polks and like that they're marine rated.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Pretty much any 6.5 will fit, but you may find that you have to be a little 'creative' when it comes to attaching them to the sound bar. I (briefly) had a set of Sony's in mine, but am currently running a cheap component set made by Pyle. There is also a direct replacement made by Kicker that a lot of people seem to like. As for upgrading, you're only going to hear minimal improvement unless you replace the radio as well (IMO, of course).

No matter what speaker you choose, to get the most out of the sound bar location, take the opportunity to stuff it full of poly-fil while swapping the speakers. It'll help fill things out a little.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Also, I think the stock speakers are 1 way, so if you replace it with a a 2 way speaker, it'll sound louder because you're getting the highs as well as the lows, at least that was my experience in my 2011

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought these for my '07 JKU soundbar from Amazon. Perfect purchase.

Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair)

Scosche SAC656 1995-up Neon 5.25/6.5-Inch Jeep Speaker Adapter - Pair

Metra 72-6514 Speaker Harness for Select Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles

·
Registered
162 Posts
I went with the polks too. I had bought mounting adapters, but wound up not needing them. If I recall, the polks came with an adapter that worked. Polks were a great purchase, and I did the front dash speakers too (same speaker). Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I blew both of mine too so don't feel bad.

I think pegging the volume on the XM is the cause, too much distortion or something?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not Really

As for upgrading, you're only going to hear minimal improvement unless you replace the radio as well (IMO, of course).
The problem lies with the combination of speakers and the radio with Jeep. If you just replace the radio, you will not hear much improvement because the speakers are cheap and are 2-ohm speakers. You would be using the same speakers with this setup. You don't have to replace the radio, but the best way to make all 6 speakers sound better is to replace them with good 4-ohm speakers, buy a good amp, use a PAC and LOC, and you're good to go. (IMO) There are tons of threads on this here at the forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts