Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, took my 07 rubicon out for a spin, pulled a pathfinder out of a pit and blew up my clutch. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which clutch is better than others for price and performance?
Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did you smoke out the pressure plates or something else?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Would I need a whole clutch kit or just pressure plates or what? Never done a clutch in before. Anything helps!
Not 100% sure but I think you need the kit. You could call your local transmission shop and ask them. Is this something you are planning on doing yourself?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If you had smoke coming from the manual transmission, you need to pull the clutch, the pressure plate, the flywheel, and the throw out lever/bearing.

You'll have to replace the pressure plate, the clutch, and probably re-surface the flywheel. Replace the throw out bearing as well. Having to keep going back into the transmission to replace additional worn parts is a huge PITA is you decide to go the minimalist route.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey so I have everything back together and my clutch won't grab. Any ideas? I have bled the slave cylinder a few times and still no change.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Sorry to hear, this almost happened to me when I first got my jeep. Wasn't pulling anyone out but didn't know about the anti stall in the JK a few years ago. Almost cost me a clutch.

Great to hear that your working on this yourself, good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey so I have everything back together and my clutch won't grab. Any ideas? I have bled the slave cylinder a few times and still no change.
When you put your foot down on the clutch pedal, does it go into gear? If so, the clutch is releasing.

Is the transfer case in 4H? It's not in neutral?

The clutch disk was put in the right way with the flywheel side forward?

If you put your foot down on the pedal and it WON'T go into gear, then the clutch is not releasing. Then you may have slave/master cylinder issues or your throwout bearing was installed wrong or the wrong throwout bearing. The height of the throwout bearing/sleeve on the new one should be exactly the same height as the old one if you stood them up side by side.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you put your foot down on the clutch pedal, does it go into gear? If so, the clutch is releasing.

Is the transfer case in 4H? It's not in neutral?

The clutch disk was put in the right way with the flywheel side forward?

If you put your foot down on the pedal and it WON'T go into gear, then the clutch is not releasing. Then you may have slave/master cylinder issues or your throwout bearing was installed wrong or the wrong throwout bearing. The height of the throwout bearing/sleeve on the new one should be exactly the same height as the old one if you stood them up side by side.
I found the problem, everything I installed was good. Just need to bleed the maser cylinder. After 10 hours of bleeding with the help of a licensed mechanic, I still couldn't bleed it. So the clutch pedal doesn't do anything. I gave in and took it to the dealer for 100 bucks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts