Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I added an extra switch in my stock switch bank on my 04 TJ Rubi and it works fine but... It is not backlit, infact it is not lit at all, which at night when trying to locate it can be bothersome. Not a huge deal but annoying. Can anyone point me to a rocker switch that looks stock and fits the stock punch out that can be hooked to lights like the other switched are? Didn't think it was a big deal when I put this one in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct, stock style

I want a stock style switch that will fit in and look very similar to the, Rear wiper, rear washer, and axle lock switches. The one I have now says "blindes" with little light symbol that does light up when switch is on (only), but at night with headlights on the "blinder" switch has no internal light that comes on, it just looks like a black hole between the rear wiper and axle lock.

I think the op is looking for a stock style switch.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You could pick up a stock fog light switch at the dealer or wrecking yard, but you might have to locate a connector with pigtails to wire it in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That has been my next thought

I'm thinking of doing just that, I'm pretty fair with a solder iron, I can just solder some pigtails to it, if I have to. I'll have to cut the shroud off but no big deal. So, in a nut shell any switch that does not have a 4 wire hookup is probably not what I'm looking for. 4th wire being the internal night light.

You could pick up a stock fog light switch at the dealer or wrecking yard, but you might have to locate a connector with pigtails to wire it in.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had a similar issue with being able to see them in low light, and just ease of access. I bought an aftermarket vent that holds two rocker switches. It replaces the factory front A/C vents. It has two small bypasses so air can still flow through. I was able to use this option because I don't drive it in the winter, so I don't need the vents for heat, and in the summer I go topless, so my vents rarely get turned on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agian, is it "back lit"

With the headlights (or running) turned on and the KC lights off does it light up so you can see the switch when it's dark outside?

Thanks for the help fellows.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
With the headlights (or running) turned on and the KC lights off does it light up so you can see the switch when it's dark outside?

Thanks for the help fellows.
It has one LED light in the middle that will light up however you wire it. I personally left that wire detached to keep light down in the cab, but it can be wired to the ignition or headlights if you so desire.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont know why didn't see this

OK, here is what I'm looking for, now does anyone know off top of head if this fits the stock switch bay on 04 TJ? Where the 4 switches are in a row buy power outlets.
It has a face surface size of 0.90'' x 1.92''(49mm x 23mm) and uses a standard din size mounting hole of 0.83'' x 1.45''(36.8mm x 21mm). This is the standard size of most switch holes in modern vehicles

Blue Laser Rocker Switch Sasquatch Lights LED on Off 5 Pins 12V 24V Car Off Road | eBay

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
OK, here is what I'm looking for, now does anyone know off top of head if this fits the stock switch bay on 04 TJ? Where the 4 switches are in a row buy power outlets.
It has a face surface size of 0.90'' x 1.92''(49mm x 23mm) and uses a standard din size mounting hole of 0.83'' x 1.45''(36.8mm x 21mm). This is the standard size of most switch holes in modern vehicles

Blue Laser Rocker Switch Sasquatch Lights LED on Off 5 Pins 12V 24V Car Off Road | eBay
Most of those style switches will fit in the stock housing with some slight trimming of the plastic in the bezel. I used otrattw switches in my stock housing before I modified my whole switch set up.
OTRATTW

To be honest, the reason I didn't care for that set up was the fact that they were at so much of an angle, it was very hard to see the labeling from the driver's seat, and you also barely tell that they were even lit (because of the angle. I think that's the reason the Jeep switches are designed the way they are.

I finally tore it all out and built my whole switch panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Water Dog,

Can you show some closer pictures of how you made your switch bank? I want to do something like what you have. I really don't want to go sPod if I can help it.

Cheers mate!
-Rowdy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy cow Dog, you went all out. Nice work. I looked it over this AM there is no way the switches I found will fit my 04 they would have worked in my 97 it had the flatter switches I do believe. Like you said above, jeep, changed the switch to a funny angled thing so the driver could actually see what's on them I do believe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts