Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for my first 2-door jeep, hopefully a rubicon, but I may have to settle for a sport with 3.73s due to price.

Anyways, I don't know if this is blasphemy or not but new jeeps seemed to be WAY overpriced??? At least where I live (socal) they are charging absolutely crazy prices for all the bloated options, for example:

$1,200 - Power windows, door locks, and mirrors aka "Convenience package". What I want to know is why doesn't this come standard like every other vehicle? Personally I'd never consider buying a vehicle that doesn't have power windows and door locks. Case in point: I test drove a jeep yesterday and talked to the sales guy about this and he laughed and agreed, then told me a little anecdote about his daugher who is 16 years old and just getting her license. She sat in one of the jeeps on the lot and pointed at the window roller, asking what it was? She had never used a roll-up window before...

$2,000 for a navigation package - Really? My LG G2 Android phone does for free and has just about the same screen size.

$495 for "Deep tint sunscreen windows" - I had all 5 windows on my Tundra professionally tinted for $200.

$800 for a "Mopar appearance package" - some tube steps, tail light guards, and a black gas cap cover. Are these items plated in black gold?

$495 for 3.73 or 4.10 gears - I understand this used to be a $50 option a few years ago, now its ten times more expensive to install gears?

$2,800 - Relating to the sport model, the "Sport package" which comes with air conditioning (what new vehicle doesn't have A/C?) and ugly wheels and tires. This entire package is a complete rip off.

Anyways its getting so that a Rubicon with what should be standard options is MSRPing at $39,000:

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4BJWCG6EL256568

Sorry for venting but I was getting so pumped learning about jeeps and really excited to get my first jeep, but it seems like Chrysler is way behind the times and has an aweful product pricing model, enough so that its dissuading me from buying. The build quality on these cars is questionable to begin with and 40k for a 2-door jeep is just insane. There are a lot of other vehicle options for that kind of cash. Furthermore I'm only seeing dealer discounts of $1500-3000 on a lot of these vehicles. Are prices high because people are financing 90% of new jeep purchases so they only care about the monthly payment? (I'm paying cash btw).

Are there any methods for getting steeper MSRP discounts on 2014 jeeps?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It's not just Jeep.

Same goes for a Nissan Frontier Pro4X or Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport.
Take base model, add another $15K.

If you want the navigation system, lockers, heated leather seats and cool model name your going pay a premium for it.

Dealer will typically get 20 base models to every 1 premium model.
They know it won't sell fast but it does draw people in to look and in some cases drool.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
As for power convenience... I'm delighted that they offer the Jeep without all that chit so I don't have to have it. Just took delivery of a Willys Wheeler edition that I ordered and it is perfect. Gives you 3.73, LSD, tinted windows, slush mats, Rubi shocks, Rubi rock rails, Rubi wheels, Rubi tires. I only added tow package (295) and AC (1195.) With destination charge came out to $28,480 MSRP. My dealer discounted it pretty heavily to put me at 24,480 plus t,t&t, but even with only a 1% below invoice deal you'd be in the under 26,000 range.

And not having the power stuff is fine on a 2-door. Absolutely fine. Won't kill you at all. :) Adjust your mirrors once and you're done. Adjust your seats once and you're done. Roll driver's window down with a crank and it takes the exact same amount of time as doing it with a button. Pax window... okay, you've got a point. But I tend to just leave that one up anyway, because if I'm going on the interstate I'm going to want them up, etc.

I love the freedom of more limited electronics in this thing, given that it will be getting wet more often than most convertibles I've owned.

Had a 94 Miata with manual crank windows from 94 to 2004 and didn't regret that decision either.

I've got plenty of cars with electric windows -- it's great to have an "old school" manual one!

Oh, and one of the reasons I chose a Wrangler was the pricing on FJ Cruisers was so much more.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I went through Costco for my Jeep, saved quite a bit. If not a member, there is another service, can't think of the name at the moment, but they were close, Costco was a couple bucks less.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Dealer will typically get 20 base models to every 1 premium model.
They know it won't sell fast but it does draw people in to look and in some cases drool.
Wow, NW Washington must be way different than metro-Atlanta. Finding a Wrangler of any description under 35,000 on a dealer lot was almost impossible. Finding a 2-door with Manual WAS impossible. Since I was going to have to order to get a manual anyway, I enjoyed getting exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's not rocket science. Prices are high because Wranglers are "in" and Toledo is running three shifts for JKs and can't keep up with demand. Dealers are ordering heavily optioned JKs for inventory because they can sell them. You can order a basic Rubicon, but the dealer's going to want to make almost the same profit he would on a loaded one; he has no incentive to make a deal. Even used Rubis are commanding high prices.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Price is relative...

That being said, I think it is great for them to offer a bare bones jeep for those people that are going to build up a jeep to how they want it, others don't place value on the various options. I would make the argument that other vehicles in the market today are bloated with items that we don't want or truly need and they come "standard" meaning the price of the car is incremented up accordingly. With a Jeep you can get one fully loaded or bone dry and all flavors in between.

Using MSRP for a price is tough to swallow as you you should be able to get at a minimum below 1% below invoice before taxes and fees. I'm in SoCal too, and got 3% off, and there are others in the area who have gotten more without any sort of affiliate pricing, just good ol hardball

Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never knew that jeeps were in such high demand and the factories were so busy. I always figured that jeeps were inexpensive and in relatively low demand because they get poor gas mileage. Here in Irvine, CA most people drive go for the techy/fuel efficient cars because you save a lot on gas over the course of ownership. For example, on my tundra I've spent about $16,500 on gas for the last 50k miles.

I will checkout the costco deal but if I'm going to spend 40 grand it will probably be on upgrading my tundra to a 2015 F150 and then getting a used jeep a few years down the road once the 3.6L engines hit the private party market. Right now even the 2012s seem to only be available in dealerships at premium prices. I guess that is good to know, should I find a deal, that these new jeeps hold their value pretty well.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Never knew that jeeps were in such high demand and the factories were so busy. I always figured that jeeps were inexpensive and in relatively low demand because they get poor gas mileage. Here in Irvine, CA most people drive go for the techy/fuel efficient cars because you save a lot on gas over the course of ownership. For example, on my tundra I've spent about $16,500 on gas for the last 50k miles.

I will checkout the costco deal but if I'm going to spend 40 grand it will probably be on upgrading my tundra to a 2015 F150 and then getting a used jeep a few years down the road once the 3.6L engines hit the private party market. Right now even the 2012s seem to only be available in dealerships at premium prices. I guess that is good to know, should I find a deal, that these new jeeps hold their value pretty well.
Well, you're kinda into generalizations, here aren't you? :)

"Forty Grand?" You've already said you want a JK 2-door, and not a Rubicon. I seriously don't think you can get anywhere near 40 grand on such a truck from Jeep. Especially if we rule out the Sahara line, since it has a bunch of things you haven't said you need (like leather interior and painted fenders.) So you could start with a Sport S, add AC, 3.73, LSD, slush mats, tow package and power convenience. That is what I was going to get before I discovered the Willys Wheeler, which packages most of that plus a few more items (as I listed above) into a better value. But if you built the Sport S I just described, you're in the 27's in MSRP. So without putting on your big-boy pants and negotiating, just waking into a dealer and telling them you'd like to pay MSRP, you're looking at under 28k.

Or same deal if you go with a Willys Wheeler and give up Power Convenience Group. Or, if you want the Willys with power, you're still only at $30,285 and that gives you a Wrangler with A/C, power windows, mirrors and doors, and all of the Rubicon features except the 4.10 rear end, 4:0 transfer case, and lockers.*

And again, we're talking MSRP here. If you get it at invoice, or at 1% below invoice, we're looking at back down to the 27/28 range. So even with California's onerous taxes (which aren't Jeep's fault), you're going to be 9000 to 10,000 less than your 40k figure.

* The 4.10 rear and 4:0 transfer case are specifically ratios I DID NOT want on my Wrangler, though the lockers would be nice. If you're not in rock crawling country, the Rubi may actually not be the best choice for you anyway. It wasn't for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You're looking at this backwards. The price without the options is cheap while the price with them is normal. They offer a Wrangler sans AC because some people want that (they clearly don't live in Texas). Some want a stripped down Jeep so Jeep sells them. Nobody wants a stripped down Camry so Toyota doesn't sell them. It let's people that can only pay $25k for a vehicle get a Wrangler if that's their dream.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I want a Rubicon, I'm just not willing to pay invoice for it :) It must be all those years of working odd jobs making minimum wage through high school/college.

That rubicon I showed above is MSRPd at 39k, invoice is probably 37.5k. In cali with the 8% tax and $320 annual registration, you get to 40k fast. Mileage, interior quality, and whisling at highway speeds with the windows up aside, I'd be willing to pay about 30k for a rubicon + taxes today.

Does jeep do any big summer or end of year events? I'm also considering waiting the year out and grabbing a 2014 one once the 2015s start coming in.

·
Registered
211 Posts

"Forty Grand?" You've already said you want a JK 2-door, and not a Rubicon. I seriously don't think you can get anywhere near 40 grand on such a truck from Jeep. Especially if we rule out the Sahara line, since it has a bunch of things you haven't said you need (like leather interior and painted fenders.) So you could start with a Sport S, add AC, 3.73, LSD, slush mats, tow package and power convenience. That is what I was going to get before I discovered the Willys Wheeler, which packages most of that plus a few more items (as I listed above) into a better value. But if you built the Sport S I just described, you're in the 27's in MSRP. So without putting on your big-boy pants and negotiating, just waking into a dealer and telling them you'd like to pay MSRP, you're looking at under 28k.

Or same deal if you go with a Willys Wheeler and give up Power Convenience Group. Or, if you want the Willys with power, you're still only at $30,285 and that gives you a Wrangler with A/C, power windows, mirrors and doors, and all of the Rubicon features except the 4.10 rear end, 4:0 transfer case, and lockers.*

And again, we're talking MSRP here. If you get it at invoice, or at 1% below invoice, we're looking at back down to the 27/28 range. So even with California's onerous taxes (which aren't Jeep's fault), you're going to be 9000 to 10,000 less than your 40k figure.

* The 4.10 rear and 4:0 transfer case are specifically ratios I DID NOT want on my Wrangler, though the lockers would be nice. If you're not in rock crawling country, the Rubi may actually not be the best choice for you anyway. It wasn't for me.
Does the Willys edition have the electric swaybar disconnect and Dana 44 front axles?

Serious question.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Well I want a Rubicon, I'm just not willing to pay invoice for it :) It must be all those years of working odd jobs making minimum wage through high school/college.

That rubicon I showed above is MSRPd at 39k, invoice is probably 37.5k. In cali with the 8% tax and $320 annual registration, you get to 40k fast. Mileage, interior quality, and whisling at highway speeds with the windows up aside, I'd be willing to pay about 30k for a rubicon + taxes today.

Does jeep do any big summer or end of year events? I'm also considering waiting the year out and grabbing a 2014 one once the 2015s start coming in.
I'm confused...You said in your original post that you don't like those options, but you won't even consider a more "base" model Rubicon? If you killed GPS that's a $2k savings right there. Sounds to me like you're here to just talk yourself out of a Jeep?...

You can get a base Rubicon 2dr for low 30's...and than add anything you want aftermarket, including a much better GPS system for probably $500 if you can do the work yourself.

You're buying quite possibly the most expensive and popular niche 4x4 in the country, that also happens to be one of the cheapest vehicles to insure and has one of the highest resale values of any vehicle on the road, which is built in a factory that produces past capacity daily. So you're not gonna get it for $25k.

If your budget is in the 30's - than find a Jeep in your budget and don't just complain about how expensive ONE specific Jeep on ONE dealers lot is.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

I see exactly what the Original poster is talking about..... i had to deal with the same crap when i was searching on dealer lots looking for a 13 last year, thats when i found out dealerships usually order fully loaded wranglers and rarely any that aren't.

As for prices being $40k or more, he's correct.... i've seen prices prior to tax,tag and title in the $40K range for regular saharas and when it came to 10th anniversary models and or Rubicon X models, the prices when up even higher. and thats not even including TTT..

OP, i was in a similar situation as you last year this time, and i know how you feel. best bet is to Order one The way you want it from a dealer you trust.

after you decide on color and options then order and do the wait rather then being ripped off by a dealer with whats hanging around their lots. Not to mention alot of dealerships don't order the more "wild" or "exotic" colored wranglers. dealerships usually have the the safe colors in stock. black,white,silver,grey.

good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have yet to see any special dealer incentives on wranglers. They are a hot item and sell fast so they don't need to offer any incentives. I wanted a stripped down wrangler with manual and A/C only - hard to find. What I did find was lots of JKU Saharas with all of the bells and whistles as that is where the dealerships make their profit.

I had to get the simple silver color even though I wanted an exotic color - I couldn't wait the 6 weeks to order as I was without wheels at the time. In any case - I couldn't be happier with my choice. I absolutely love my jeep and smile each time I turn that ignition switch and put it in gear.

I read that the power windows add weight to the doors -which makes me even more thankful having a crank window as being a short female - it is going to be tough to get my doors on and off by myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Then you're not willing to pay what they're worth. That's perfectly fine of course but you can't expect to get a huge discount when the guy behind you will pay a lot more.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Price is relative...

That being said, I think it is great for them to offer a bare bones jeep for those people that are going to build up a jeep to how they want it, others don't place value on the various options. I would make the argument that other vehicles in the market today are bloated with items that we don't want or truly need and they come "standard" meaning the price of the car is incremented up accordingly. With a Jeep you can get one fully loaded or bone dry and all flavors in between.

Using MSRP for a price is tough to swallow as you you should be able to get at a minimum below 1% below invoice before taxes and fees. I'm in SoCal too, and got 3% off, and there are others in the area who have gotten more without any sort of affiliate pricing, just good ol hardball

Good luck!
Exactly, nice to be able to pick options for a change instead of paying to get a bunch I don't want because they come in the package or standard.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Personally I'd never consider buying a vehicle that doesn't have power windows and door locks.
Glad you don't work for Jeep. I'm glad I don't have power windows! My brother does and wishes he didn't either.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts