Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
The plug is right behind the PCM, on the driver's side of the engine bay. The PCM is the metal box right behind the windshield washer reservoir... and yeah if it isn't there, then...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
mine was behind the heat sync looking thing:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have one not sure what to do? Do you use extension cord, how long do you plug it in or what?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Extension cord, yes. Unless you can pull it close enough to a plug! But a quality cord is good enough. I suggest one with the light in the plug. A lot of outside plugs will trip the breaker when plugged in and it sucks when you find out your vehicle sat out plugged in with no juice!

Length of time is based on 2 things. How cold is it? And how much money do you want to give the electric company! My experience is with diesels, 4 hours was enough for most temps down to negative F*. For a jeep it would be less. But if you plug in when you go to bed it is plenty for the morning. To save money get a light timer from the hardware store and set to turn on 2-3 hours before you leave, then you can plug in whenever.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree with the lighted end extension cord. I leave my diesel truck plugged up every night in the winter time. Reading the info on the timer got me thinking might be trying that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now, heating the engine, will it help keep the battery from losing it's charge. When it's cold battery has died last year & this year already had to charge battery 2 weeks ago. I don't drive much in winter, so I start it up for 20 min. When cold like today. Will I still need to do this if I use the heating block,tired of died battery situation . I have a 2013 rubicon 10A with led, light bar, winch, air comp and stock battery.thanks for everyone's input very helpful.

·
Registered
242 Posts
As previously said, they like the juice. I plug my diesel truck up about 1 hour prior to starting in temps below 20 degrees. This is sufficent enough to stop the shake, rattle and roll of the diesel where I live.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Now, heating the engine, will it help keep the battery from losing it's charge. When it's cold battery has died last year & this year already had to charge battery 2 weeks ago. I don't drive much in winter, so I start it up for 20 min. When cold like today. Will I still need to do this if I use the heating block,tired of died battery situation . I have a 2013 rubicon 10A with led, light bar, winch, air comp and stock battery.thanks for everyone's input very helpful.
So your 20 minute run is what is killing your battery. 20 minutes is not even making up for the amount of juice it took to start your jeep. If you don't drive it often you are better with a trickle charger and only start it when it is above 20 degrees F*. A jeep using the proper 5W-20 can start and run fine to 0* F., No problem without a block heater. Buy a trickle charger not a block heater. Block heaters(on jeeps) are not really needed for 90% of the lower 48, 10% is the poor souls in Minnesota, Dakotas etc, and mountain locations. You live somewhere intended for humans, your jeep doesn't need a block heater.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
So your 20 minute run is what is killing your battery. 20 minutes is not even making up for the amount of juice it took to start your jeep.
I'm not sure where you're getting that info, but 20 minutes is more than enough. Depending on cranking time and accessory power draw when running, the time it takes a battery to recover from a start is between 2 and 10 minutes. A 20 minute drive is more than enough to recover from the start and then some, so if the battery is dying regularly then there's a problem with the battery or excessive drain with the vehicle off. It's not the 20-minute drive cycles that are killing the battery.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is the block heaters function, heat the oil/ fluids etc..I thought it might help with CCA of battery I guess not. so I just need to drive her -7 tonight in IN. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Now, heating the engine, will it help keep the battery from losing it's charge. When it's cold battery has died last year & this year already had to charge battery 2 weeks ago. I don't drive much in winter, so I start it up for 20 min. When cold like today. Will I still need to do this if I use the heating block,tired of died battery situation . I have a 2013 rubicon 10A ....
I'd take the battery to a Pep Boys or Autozone and have it tested. Sounds like your CCA might be low. They should do it get free.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
What is the block heaters function, heat the oil/ fluids etc..I thought it might help with CCA of battery I guess not. so I just need to drive her -7 tonight in IN. Thanks guys.
it simply keeps the motor from getting so cold that it doesnt want to start.

it isnt as needed in gas motors, but a lot of diesels wont start in the negatives. my 322,000 mile 7.3 pukes its guts out if its below 30f and not plugged in. my block heater will actually keep the temp needle a quarter of the way from the bottom.

another plus, your heater works a lot quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYwCwpPfNw0

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I still don't know exactly where you plug it in, is there a 3 prong or a cover over it not finding. Sorry not mechanically inclined.
It will have a standard 110v 3-prong plug that you plug into a wall or extension cord.

If you really have a block heater then it should be tied up between the PCM and ABS module on the driver's side. See pic.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts